Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Associate
These organisations are using disruptive tactics to gain mainstream media attention for their agendas. I totally support the agenda they are both fighting for, but are they going too far?

I think they should be viewed as domestic terrorists, disrupting domestic infrastructure should absolutely put them in this category. Can you imagine Islamic extremists pushing sharia law in this manner being allowed to disrupt for so long? If we let these protests continue without applying serious repercussions for those involved it opens up the door for other organisations to do the same to push their agenda/message.

Has your support for these organisations increased with these protests or is your support waning, I know mine is waning.

The crown prosecution service defines terrorism as
Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public. It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can we quote the rest of the paragraph? If you were to cut it off, why not just stop at "Terrorism is the use or threat of action"? eh?
"Examples include:"
This doesn't mean those listed are the only examples, just a limited subset. Plus, disrupting infrastructure is equivalent to "disrupt an electronic system"

Protest, as in walking around on the street with a sign shouting does not pose a threat to your life?
Road blocks stopping/delaying a fire engine or ambulance attending an emergency would

Associate
OP
By your logic the Labour Party are a terrorist organisation:
They are using an action (making a facebook post) which is designed to influence a government organisation ("We're calling on Boris Johnson to cancel the cut")

You're being incredibly terse there, these organisations are disrupting peoples way of life and day to day activities. The facebook post like you have quoted has no notable/potential consequences.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
They don't want to curb woman's rights or gays etc so not sure how you can label them the same as the nutty Sharia law brigade.

I'm not at all, what I was saying is if this kind of action is "normalised" then other organisations will consider it to get publicity for themselves. If they did they couldn't be dealt with differently to XR/IB as it could be seen as persecution of 1 belief over another.

Back
Top Bottom