Insulating log cabin floor

Associate
New log cabin arriving tomorrow and as I'd like to use it over winter I'm wondering if I should insulate under the floor.

Having a look around it seems people recommend using Celotex board under the floorboards...what are people's thoughts? I know It should be able to breathe under there so not sure if there is a better option? It's on 4" bearers so quite a lot of room...

Cabins not in yet so nice and easy to access at the moment- problem if I put the celotex inside is it raises the floor too much...is there a reason I shouldn't put thme under? Here's an example picture of someone doing what I am thinking:

Log-cabin-insulated-floor.jpg

...and the lovely 28mm thick floorboards I have go on top...

That looks like it's going to be draughty! If you do go down that route be sure to cut the boards tight and fill in the gaps...
A lot depends on what the construction is going to be, is it 100mm before the bottom of the floor joists? (i.e. you can achieve 100mm air space under the insulation?
I'm guessing that stopping draughts in the floor is more important than insulation for something like this, insulation in the roof/walls/windows/doors will be more effective...

Cabins not in yet so nice and easy to access at the moment- problem if I put the celotex inside is it raises the floor too much...is there a reason I shouldn't put thme under? Here's an example picture of someone doing what I am thinking:

...and the lovely 28mm thick floorboards I have go on top...

Personally I wouldn't want my insulation exposed to the elements.

Define "too much"

When I did mine, I laid down DPM (effectively made a tub in the footprint of the cabin), then the floor bearers and then laid Celotex between them as pictured above. I used 50mm as my bearers were 50mm square section. Mine's been in for about a year and it's doing great.

I'd show pictures, but photobucket are being massive bellends and have banned third party hosting unless users pay fees.

Last edited:
When I did mine, I laid down DPM (effectively made a tub in the footprint of the cabin), then the floor bearers and then laid Celotex between them as pictured above. I used 50mm as my bearers were 50mm square section. Mine's been in for about a year and it's doing great.

I'd show pictures, but photobucket are being massive bellends and have banned third party hosting unless users pay fees.

This way is ok because you "encased" the insulation in DPM.

However it won't allow any airflow under the shed will it ?
You need airflow to stop damp etc.

I did the floor and the roof heat rises ;) i used plastic pvc thats used for house facia the cladding looking stuff that fits together , its covered the roof to hide the 50 mm kingspan it looks lovely and holds in the heat great .

I did the floor and the roof heat rises ;) i used plastic pvc thats used for house facia the cladding looking stuff that fits together , its covered the roof to hide the 50 mm kingspan it looks lovely and holds in the heat great .

so what size did you use in floor? having a similiar issues my bearers are 50mm then hits concrete..

Back
Top Bottom