Insurance for cycling?

Soldato
what sort of value cover? im with AA and found their standard cover lacking and any additions weren't that good value.

I had both bikes declared on the policy, I think I had a combined value of £7000. I cant quite remember the specifics now.

I'm trying to figure out how Direct Line stand on bicycles. It looks like they're covered inside the house up to the value of the contents insurance, which is good.

I can't quite figure out if they're covered if they are locked in a shed at home, or if that counts as away from home.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Soldato
Hummmm, after reading their policy wording I have a different understanding.

They seem to be classed as personal possessions.

Items designed to be worn or carried that you normally take out of the home or on holiday such as jewellery, cameras, sports equipment, pedal cycles and money

and comes as additional cover, and even then bikes are only covered up to £500 (which is useless) unless they're declared separately. Even then they only get cover up to £3k, which is also useless.

I won't bother with direct line then.

Soldato
Yes, that is an idea.

I did speak to a lady on the phone to confirm where bikes stood with regards to contents insurance. I asked the question "so if I keep one in the shed and the other in the house they will both be insured?". She said yes, but that is as much detail as I went in to with regards to a shed.

Soldato
Yes, that is an idea.

I did speak to a lady on the phone to confirm where bikes stood with regards to contents insurance. I asked the question "so if I keep one in the shed and the other in the house they will both be insured?". She said yes, but that is as much detail as I went in to with regards to a shed.
I'd always get grey areas like this clarified in writing or take the call reference :)
The majority of insurance companies will keep a recording of the call on record, so providing you've asked the right question and they've agreed, they have to stand by it. Basically refer everything 'non-standard' (my other half works in insurance). Keeping a copy of the persons name and any reference to the call would be what I'd keep, at least. Even better if you can get from them in writing showing the value of your individual bikes (as we've got with Aviva).

Soldato
I thought I'd add something here, as I regrettably had to use my insurance.

My bike was stolen from my shed (which was locked), they broke straight through the door.

I have Tesco home insurance, just bog standard policy, nothing particularly special.

I was amazed to hear that my bike was covered, even though it was not specified, and had a value well in excess of £5k. Some insurers cover up to the value of £2k or maybe a bit more.
They actually cover non-specified valuables up to £10k per item.

I have since been paid the insurance money, minus the excess of £200.

It's worth noting, they initially made me go through wheelies.co.uk for a replacement, and they were the ones who valued my bike (as it was a custom build).

I stood my ground and stated that they could not provide a like for like replacement, and if I took the cash settlement (which they would only give with a 20% hit) I would be losing out. So they then agreed to pay the full amount.

So I would definitely have a look at Tesco, but double check their policy wording. I had a look at some of mine and found some that said bikes were specifically not covered!

Man of Honour
I have. Very quick to process and required only pictures of the knackered items. I didn't have to get a quote from a bike shop. All in all, great.

The guys arranging collection of my old broken bits have been pretty shoddy however. Ignoring emails at times and just arranging collections without bothering to consult with me. Didn't delay the payout in any way though - just means a bit of faff in the months following (I still have my old 'broken' frame 2-3 months after my accident).

Soldato
It's all relative to the amount of cover you have. I would think it highly likely £115 annually will not cover a great deal of value, well that would be sufficient for a moderate enthusiast at least.

Off the top of my head I have £4.5k away from home and £5/£6k in total for around £400~

Back
Top Bottom