Insurance for gadgets/contents

Associate
Not entirely sure what to do here. I'm a student living in a furnished rented house. I want to insure, among other things, my laptop (£1,700), my camera + accessories (£1,800), my mobile phone (iPhone 5s) and my PS4. Doing gadget insurance quotes comes up with ridiculous numbers like £500. I've been doing a few contents only house insurance, however I'm not entirely sure whether the policies are suitable?

What would you suggest?

Soldato
You would need to speak to whoever the contents insurance is with about what their policies say. Some policies won't pay out if, for example, a key was left in a window or a door - others will. If the house is share then that will change what policies allow etc. There is nothing to do other than write down all the problems that may occur and directly check them off.

Associate
This is not financial advice and I do not know if it is what you need, or can get, but I have my gadgets insured with American Express My Essentials. £12.99 pm (it used to be £9.99 :( )

I can't find anything to say it's only for Amex cardholders.

Soldato
Check your parents insurance doesnt have a student away from home section already.
Check student specific insurances, as shared accomodation is different from full rental accomodation.

Soldato
I've got endsleigh contents insurance (about 8quid a month). However I think big ticket items over 1k cost extra to add (same with phones). I haven't claimed on it but when I made a thread other people said they'd claimed hastle free.

And yes you want contents only insurance. (including accidental damage too probably.)

Last edited:
Associate
I looking into this in past and prices seemed to be steep thankfully only expensive items that leave the house are my daughters phone rest of gear stays at home so can just use home contents insurance

Back
Top Bottom