Integrated washer/dryer

Soldato
It's coming up to that time of year where washing takes an age to dry in doors. I know the debate of washer dryers, twice as much to go wrong, not as good as individual.
First is a gamble
Second, seems to come to features and amount of use. We're a two/three a week wash and knowing that the dryer can't dry as much as the washer takes I think I can be prepared for the "not as good" counter arguement. Dryer will only be used in winter.

Been looking at them the past couple of days and only really narrowed it down to the below two:

Candy/Hoover 8514 - circa £400 comes with a 10year part warranty
AEG L61742WDBI - £600+

Any recommendations?
Our current washer is a John Lewis 7kg drum, we don't really make use of the all the numerous wash features apart from adjusting wash times, temp and using the daily start function so would at least like to keep those. I would say the AEG is top of our price.

tah!

Soldato
I have seperates at home but when we also had a flat in London a Samsung one came with the flat, it was absolutely fine doing underwear as you could set it and forget it, come home to washed and dried boxers and socks but if you put a mixture of shirts and trousers etc. in then the stuff that couldn't be tumbled had to be removed before you put it on the dryer function.

Soldato
First one I had overheated and made everything smell like old cigarettes - got it replaced under warranty. Now have an AEG one and I have to say provided you don’t tumble dry too much or too often, it’s pretty good.

Until it blows up of course.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments. I did forget about the "bagger" air dryers.
Latest one been looking at is a Beko WDIX8543100, sensors for drying and what I thought was randomly handy was an eye level guage to try and avoid overloading.

Soldato
On thing to consider before you buy the compromised washer /dryer solution is - is there scope to stack a dryer on top of a washer. Thats what we did and we keep them in a cupboard space we have upstairs. Bosch do a stacking kit which isn't either expensive or sophisticated but it works well for people with constraints on floor space. I had a washer/dryer once and I just feel they are a big compromise and they also tend not to last as long. If you have a family then I reckon they aren't that practical.

Soldato
OP
No family, just two of us.

Current kitchen doesn't allow stacking, and we would be losing our only usable cupboard space if weoved it elsewhere.
Is there such a kitchen cupboard that would allow something placed below an eye level oven?...

R F

R F

Associate
Get a dehumidifier. I came across this by accident. I live in a flat and like you my clothes didn't dry in the winter. Now they dry (and are soft) in about 5-6 hours by running the dehumidifier in the bathroom (small space) with all the clothes on a rack. Now that I've a heated towel rail in the bathroom I expect that they will dry even quicker. Much cheaper than a tumble dryer.

Back
Top Bottom