• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Soldato
OP
Still waiting for mine. Seems like I'll keep mine on stock for awhile. Maybe a slight oc. Need to make sure my new PC even boots beofre anything else:)

Yeah I thought that until I got installed :D

At 4.8Ghz this chip is an absolute monster !

Will bench at that and probably run at stock or 4.5Ghz for 24/7 use. Like things running cool and quiet.

Guys, what's the max turboboost speed when using all the cores? I think I read somewhere that the 4.4 is only for when using 2 cores

Default TB on my chip and motherboard is,

> 4.4
> 4.4
> 4.2
> 4.1

Soldato
OP
thats pretty good then..

waiting for mine to come from overseas.. lol

Yeah very happy with it, beat my expectations.

This def feels like Haswell done right, wonder if along with the extra cores and cache will the Haswell -E line will have these same improvements.. The E chips are going to be monsters :eek:

Soldato
OP
Really??
This is stock btw, it's using 1.36v and temps on 1 R15 run is mid 70s (custom water....yeah right!!)

Something not right there.

Did you default your bios after installation?

My default volt is 1.2v something, 1.28v is good for 4.6Ghz and temps around 68c. 1.35v is good for 4.8Ghz and temps in high 70's/80's depending on bench.

You should be getting much better temps on proper water setup.

Soldato
OP
I'm 93% unhappy, on the bases i had a perfectly capable 4770k and 'got bored' so sold everything waiting for HW-E fell for the hype surrounding these and splashed my dosh :D

Haha, I'm the opposite, glad I built this Z97 build, 100% happy with Z97 + 4790K, but worried HW-E may prove to tempting anyway and I'll build an E system as well :o

I need to disconnect the internet around HW-E launch :p Must resist !

Really liking this chip, cool and quiet @ stock and stable for benchies @ 4.8Ghz, can't complain at that imho.

Gonna reformat and chuck on W8.1.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
PC done. pic's up in a hour or so. It looks bad ass. Best PC I've ever built

Nice one :)

Will do, its sitting on my desk now. But got a party to go to tonight, likely sunday before i get it fitted. Cooling is high end air, alpenfohn k2 with x2 corsair PWM sp 2350 rpm fans.

When real life gets in the way of PC :p Interesting to see your overclocking results. I'm sure someone can get 5Ghz on high end air / water.

Soldato
OP
^^ This guy.

You can say it's not much, but I've gone from an unstable 4770K clocker to a rock solid 4.9Ghz @ 1.38v. That's a pretty decent chip right there imho.

For new buyers this refresh is great. Z97 + 4790K is a great deal at the same price points. For those willing to spend more and get more performance can just wait for X99 in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom