• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
Upgraded from a 3770k (never overclocked) and ASrock Z77 Fatal1ty Pro. 4790k is around 5c cooler than my stock 3770k using the Noctua D14 so I'm very pleased with that.

Now using the Asus Z97 Deluxe, very nice board and my first Asus, love the UEFI, very clean :)

This was a straight board/CPU swap on a 1yr old install of Windows 8.1 (.1 was installed over the top of 8)

Everything so far is rock solid. This bench was done using the Asus MultiCore Enhancement feature, so the CPU was running at 4.4ghz throughout, and I did change the BLCK to 100.1. Running it at the default 100, programs kept reporting it as 99.9, even with the spread spectrum disabled, it was annoying me :)

Thermal paste is Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, Noctua D14 with 2x 120mm 1x 140mm Noctua fans. Room temp @ 26c.

Capture2_zps1a11179d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well well well...

I just run wPrime with 4790K @ 4.4Ghz after doing exact same bench on 4770K at same frequency...

Exact same temps on all 4 cores. 68, 67, 68, 64

This is with a reasonably good cpu only custom water loop. Hmmm only difference I ran out of Gelid Xtreme so used EK's own TIM. But I can't see that dropping temps all that much!!! Pretty poor.

Soldato
OP
thats pretty good then..

waiting for mine to come from overseas.. lol

Yeah very happy with it, beat my expectations.

This def feels like Haswell done right, wonder if along with the extra cores and cache will the Haswell -E line will have these same improvements.. The E chips are going to be monsters :eek:

Back
Top Bottom