• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Interesting article I found on overclocking Haswell and (of particular interest to me) what's changed since Ivybridge: http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

Apologies to all you experienced Haswell overclockers who have probably read it before (it's not exactly new), but for the rest it might be helpful. It's certainly helped me understand why my Sammy Green will only achieve the same timings at 2200MHz on my Gryphon Z97 AE as I previously ran at 2400MHz on my Maximus V Gene.

Back to the mainboard methinks ;)

What voltages you using to get 4.9 stable?

I only aim for 3D11/3DMark and Cinebench stable, don't do any of this BS prime etc.

I set 1.35v in the bios, 1.332v in windows for 4.9. Will boot @5 with those voltages, but wont run any tests the same goes all the way up to 1.45v, after that i wont go higher ;)

The other chip is nearly identical, only the temps are worse :p

Could someone explain exactly what these voltages are for?

unSM7jM.png

Do I need to lock them or anything while adjusting the CPU voltage, or can I leave them on Auto (what I assume they are on now). The only one that fluctuates a little bit is the -12v reading, but it always remains at roughly 7.1v~.

Contemplating returning mine under dsr and ordering another, can't get it to 4.7 even with 1.345 v temps around 85c with realbench. I'm using the igpu until I get another pci express card tomorrow.

Could someone explain exactly what these voltages are for?

unSM7jM.png

Do I need to lock them or anything while adjusting the CPU voltage, or can I leave them on Auto (what I assume they are on now). The only one that fluctuates a little bit is the -12v reading, but it always remains at roughly 7.1v~.

some are the output of the psu,some are for memory I think

Contemplating returning mine under dsr and ordering another, can't get it to 4.7 even with 1.345 v temps around 85c with realbench. I'm using the igpu until I get another pci express card tomorrow.

could be the igpu that's crashing? they are pretty poor unless cpu is at stock

best to test with a graphic card,then see if its more stable at 4.7ghz?

I only aim for 3D11/3DMark and Cinebench stable, don't do any of this BS prime etc.

I set 1.35v in the bios, 1.332v in windows for 4.9. Will boot @5 with those voltages, but wont run any tests the same goes all the way up to 1.45v, after that i wont go higher ;)

The other chip is nearly identical, only the temps are worse :p

How hot does each one run mate?

got it to 4.8 straight away at 1.26v in bios. Cant get it to 5.0 though...tried it upto 1.31v but wont quite get there...any ideas what to try to get it to 5.0, not sure what is max volts to use. Normal running is 4.6 on adaptive setting for volts , shows up as 1.184 when at full load.

boomstick...I see you have much higher volts to get same speed...is this just a difference in the chips? or were you using auto volt setting in bios?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom