• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Similar to mines, my temps were 75, 76, 77, 71

Your overall score is about 1000 ahead of mines, which I am thinking is your 2400Mhz RAM vs my 2133Mhz.

I really want to delid, but not got the balls. :D

Question - I have heard that the igpu can use power - how do you disable it in Asus BIOS. I found 1 setting regarding igpu, but don't know if that was to disable it - still says igpu target speed 1250mhz in BIOS summary though!

What board mate? On my Z87 formula the option to disable it is in the tweakers paradise sub menu of the ai overclock menu. Id say also that 2400mhz ram does help a bit with real bench, as does cache clock. The latter i have left at stock. Which on auto its running at 1.274 going by the bios. Which i thought seems a bit high. What is your cache speed and voltage at?

Cache was 4000 at stock on newer bios, was 4400 on 1504 (i think) so i put it back to 4400 at present. Not sure voltage. Will check tomorrow afternoon.

Maximus Hero VI I am running mate. For life of me I cannot see option to disable igpu, but may just have missed it - there are a lot of options lol.

If you disable it does it still say target igpu speed 1250 mhz in main screen of BIOS on yours?

It does still say target speed at the top of the oc menu in bios. If you run something like 3d mark firestrike, your results will indicate wether an additional gpu is detected. Not sure if the hero has the tweakers menu tbh, as some rog boards have different menus. As for cache, yep on 1504 mine was also 44x, 1505, 40x which ive left it at for the time being.

only use coolaboratory liquid on the die for delidding,and use non conductive paste to cover and protect the line of resistors next to the die

any other paste on the die wont improve temps if at all

Well I did see 7c improvment, likely due to the thick rubber glue being removed. ;)

I'll have to get some LU so.

I just read all your reviews. To be honest, I am glad I stick to my sandybridge i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz at 69C @ 1.32v :D:D

i7 4790K is seem pointless & waste of money plus need a new board too.

I just read all your reviews. To be honest, I am glad I stick to my sandybridge i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz at 69C @ 1.32v :D:D

i7 4790K is seem pointless & waste of money plus need a new board too.
What you need to remember though bulldog is that at stock speed, the DC 4790k is faster than the 2700k at 4.8ghz. Sure the temps on haswell are high if you run synthetic stress tests, (not that id reccomend theese). But in normal use the temps are comparable to any intel chip in recent years. I still have a bloomfield i7 930, at 4.2ghz, in games it runs a bit hotter than the 4790k in sig. 68c max in bf4 at 4.8ghz on 1.31v.

ah screw it at the weekend i am going to delid ;)
just going to order some liquid pro tomorrow :D

should i practice it out on my i7 4770k first :D then again do delided chips go for more in the MM ? lol
also what tools do i need ? what kind of hammer and basically complete list :D

Just ordered :

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Liquid Metal Thermal Paste £7.49 1 £7.49
Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier - 60ml Kit £5.82 1 £5.82

Dont think i need anything else just a vice and hammer :D
i will use the liquid pro on the die and on the heatsink i will use IC diamond..

hmmm i have a EK waterblock, and when browsing through the ocuk thermal section i seen some lga 1150 die mount kits :o
why hasnt anyone used those yet or reported on them everyone cant be that scared lol im sure you would get even better temps without the IHS on.

Last edited:
Got mine coming on Thursday along with a Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H, will the CPU work on the board straight away someone said it needs the latest BIOS to work?

im still working on mine :)
can get 5.0ghz stable ish lol
can get 4.4ghz stable @1.18v
can get 4.5ghz stable @1.14v
can get 4.6ghz stable @1.2v
4.7ghz stable @1.250v
4.8ghz stable @1.270v
4.9ghz stable @1.310v
5.0ghz iffy under load @1.35v

still working out the kinks
i wonder what causes the cpu to flat out reboot like it was hard reset when pushing it @5.0ghz its like there is not enough voltage somewhere might try and up the VRIN to 2.20v instead of trying out 1.9v could be the cause.

Your voltage at 4.4GHz is higher than 4.5GHz, is this a typo? I want to compare your findings with mine so if you could let me know thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom