• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel or AMD - crystal ball time!

Soldato
Ok I was all set to build a 1090T based rig but with recent i7 prices I'm having a hard time convincing myself to stay true to the cause :eek:

So which has the most life in it an i7 build or a an X6 considering both sockets will be superseded in early 2011?

My current thinking is the headroom on an i7 will last for more cycles of new graphics cards...

Soldato
OP
Personally I've decided to go AMD. As I know that in a few months they won't bring out a socket and chipset to replace the one I intend to get with an NVIDIA type rebranding and no added functionality.

Afaik Bulldozer, out early 2011 is on a new socket so any current AMD setup won't take those new cpu's. I could be wrong of course! I'm be persuaded that i7 may last me longer...

Soldato
OP
I guess the real question is which one would become cpu limited first with future graphics upgrades? At that point it would be time for a platform upgrade.

Soldato
OP
Other than cost the i7 is pretty compelling and if you go for a high end AMD mobo right now plus a 1090T the cost is very close to i7...and both will be superseded in less than a year...

Soldato
OP
Wait for some proper benchmarks to come out, there are a few floating around now of them doing 4.4ghz on turbo. (3 cores boosted only).

They have already beaten the i7 in a few benchmarks I've seen so far, but none of them are very trustworthy if you ask me. When they hit the UK and I see some proper overclocking results and benchmarks, that's when I'll start drawing assumptions.

Think I have to agree with this, only a week or so to go so we'll soon find out, let's hope it makes the decision a bit easier!

Soldato
OP
I think drunken master talks a lot of sense, of course that doesn't usually fit well with hobbies ;) Going for the cheaper options and unlocking/overclocking also makes sense but perhaps the current high end does make sense if you intend to keep if for some time. They may not use all their power right now for say gaming but as GPU's get more powerful you're going to use more of that cpu power aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom