• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Says Chips To Become Slower But More Energy Efficient

Soldato
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/0...ps-to-become-slower-but-more-energy-efficient

Not sure what to think about this. For most enthusiasts they don't really care about power consumption they just want the best possible speeds. I can see how the mass market wouldn't care so much about speed and would rather have power efficient chips.

But the gaming market is completely different to the mass market. People who buy a system with an APU because it is cheap and includes an integrated GPU to save even more money are going to want power efficient systems. Those looking to spend £800+ on a CPU are not going to care about power efficiency in the least all they'll look for is top of the range speed and good overclocking ability.

Yes I am aware that the more power a chip uses the more heat it generates and therefore the slower it overclocks but Intel seem to be managing OK at the moment. I don't see why we would need to go backwards in terms of performance.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully this won't kick in before Skylake-E is released as that is what I have set my eyes on for my next upgrade for new motherboard features and hopefully some extra cores for a reasonable price.

Having said that my i7 3930k still runs all current games perfectly so modern CPUs don't really offer a whole lot extra for gaming as far as I can see. I can certainly see a new CPU helping with productivity though.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't wait for Sky-E.

...look what thread title says! If Broadwell-E ups the core count you may as well switch then, I don't think they will increase it again unless AMD decide to start selling odd-number (salvage) manycores as well.

I know what the thread title says I originally posted it :).

Nah I'll wait till Skylake-E. Broadwell-E is interesting but I'd feel like I was getting old tech with the X99 chipset at the moment. As long as Skylake-E comes with 10 cores and is faster IPC than my i7 3930k I'll be happy.

I can't see Intel dropping performance that much on their high end enthusiast grade platforms. Maybe on their standard i7 chips for mainstream consumers but not the high enthusiast grade chips.

And well if I'm wrong I'll just have to live with my decision :).

Back
Top Bottom