• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel warranty for a second hand CPU

Associate
So I bought a 13th gen Intel CPU off ebay a few months ago. Now it started misbehaving - blue screens in a clean Windows install, restarts when running Cinebench (while temps stay under 90°C). The CPU hasn't been overclocked or overvolted, always had a 240mm water cooler on. Intel warranty says:

Intel does not honor warranty requests for used, gray-market, second-hand, gifted, or products purchased from other than our authorized distributors or resellers.

It looks like I'll have to throw it away, despite it's supposed to have a 3 year warranty. I think I'll go AMD for my next build...

Soldato
Whilst that sucks, AMD and most other companies don't offer a transferable warranty either. The reason EVGA stood out so much amongst PC hardware companies was their warranty service, which included honouring it beyond the first owner. Not many others will do anything for you. You could try asking the person who you bought it from to send you the original invoice, represent yourself as them to Intel and say that you've moved house since then, so need the replacement sent to your current address. Otherwise, I'd try adding some voltage and see if that stabilises it. Knock up the offset by 10mV at a time or something until it stops crashing. Or go the other way and underclock it. Not like you have much to lose if it's already dying.

Soldato
Have you tried getting in touch with Intel and not mention its a 2nd hand cpu to see what they say?

Do you have another processor you could test to make sure its the CPU that's having the problems as it could be something else.

Soldato
Unless a warranty can be transferred or stays with a product ( both very rare ) then no company honours warranty on used goods you bought on the 2nd hand market as seen.

AMD wont either, or Nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely contact the eBay seller and see if they can give you the receipt. I’ve had a faulty 2nd hand Intel and AMD processors (always lucky…) but managed to get both replaced with just the receipt even with a different name/address

Last edited:
Associate
Buy it on Amazon. Cancel it straight away.

You’ll have an email from Amazon showing you bought it.

Edit the dates.

You’ve now got proof of purchase.

Go through their warranty process.

Simple.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the ideas guys.

The problem is definitely the CPU (I know that's very rare).

I don't want to abuse the system. Plus Intel may check with say Amazon if a given order number is valid.

Man of Honour
If you have the box with the numbers they require Intel only say they may ask you for a receipt. If your CPU wasn't boxed (i.e. could have been oem) then there's no warranty with Intel anyway.

Soldato

I remember just contacting Intel who gave me a shipping label, this was a few years ago though. No idea if they demand an invoice or whatever.
That’s how I remember it too was always just off the serial number.

Man of Honour
Amd do offer warranty and you don't need to supply a receipt. Just put the serial number in send off and get a new boxed processor back in the post a few days later. Probably worth trying your luck with the Intel system as well. AMD have been amazing every time I've used them for an rma even when the processor was purchased second hand.

Back
Top Bottom