• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel's Architecture Day 2018 - updates on their future CPUs and GPUs

Soldato
With AMD really shaking things up will be really interesting to see what they come up with. I am pretty intrigued by them doing gpu's and wonder if they may shake things up for us gamers.

Caporegime

Large difference between saying they will, and article speculates they might with absolutely no confirmation from Intel or Apple. Big, big difference.

As for the cores, we've yet to see anything concrete. Intel has touted all the same improvements for previous architectures. Sunny Cove is not a 'new' architecture, it's just Icelake's internal microarchitecture name, the difference between Zen 1 and a Ryzen 1800x. It's not expected to see a new ground up architecture till sometime into 2021 and beyond so we'll see what they bring with it. I'm expecting the same edge case scenarios where Icelake performs better but in most applications a small real world IPC bump, we'll also have to see what actual clock speeds they launch with as everything so far has Intel saying 10nm is going to be slower than well, 14nm+ let alone whatever number of +'s they have now.

it would seem that Icelake will get a small bump in IPC but probably a loss in clock speeds, it depends how big both are to see if it's even faster both stock and overclocked than the current chips. gain 5% IPC and lose 10% clocks won't be good, gain 10% ipc and lose 5% clocks, better but still not a big boost. Outside of some edge case scenarios and also primarily in synthetic workloads (cough AVX512) I doubt we'll see a major IPC improvement from Intel in at least another couple of years.

Soldato
I predict 10% faster at the same clock speed, 10% cost increase for the same performance.. Slightly lower clock speeds..

90% of users don't need a cpu better than a current 8 Core of the last 10% 8% just need better threaded software .

Back
Top Bottom