inter-VLAN routing

Soldato
Hi all
still pretty new to setting these up and have some questions

Is it possible to access file shares on other VLANs?

I can ping across the VLANs but cannot access the nodes via file explorer.

I'm trying to separate things out in my home network but still need some of the devices to be able to communicate across different VLANs. is this possible?

VLAN1 office (pc, server & 3x NAS)
VLAN10 media (Xbox one, ps4 pro & media player)
VLAN20 (wifi and VPN)

both VLANs 1 and 20 would need access to VLAN 10

I'm doing this for fun mainly but would to limit the broadcasts and separate the traffic as a bonus.

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers

Soogs

Soldato
OP
I guess in an ideal world I'd need all networks to be reachable from all networks

I have 3 issues if there is no access between the networks. cant remote play pc/ps4. cant access plex media server. cant remote control media player from a smartphone.

Soldato
OP
It makes no sense at all to separate the things you've listed.

Broadcast traffic is a none issue with so few devices.

If you really want to do what you are suggesting you the easiest option would be some kind of router, something like an Ubiquiti edge router or a mikrotik.
I am using an EdgeRouter X. would i just set up 3 different networks minus the vlans?

I think you need subnets rather than VLANs. That is, if you need anything at all.

A VLAN would come in use where you need complete separation so have a separate VLAN for your IOT devices or a separate wifi network for guests.
no i dont really NEED this but im doing a netoworking course and am just messing with this for fun/educational reasons.

by subnets do you mean like
192.168.1.0/24 on eth2
192.168.2.0/24 on eth3
192.168.3.0/24 on eth4

or 192.168.1.0/26 on switch0
Different. Managed just means it has a web page or console access and can configure things like bland.

Layer 3 essentially builds in routing to a switch
thanks. ill look into getting one of these for the future

Soldato
OP
Sorry! Yes, I should have stated what equipment I was using.

I'm using 2x 4g modems
ERX as router
2x other routers (1 as WAP/bridge and one as VPN router)
2x unmanaged switches

ERX (eth2,3,4 = switch0)
eth0 <---> modem load balanced
eth1 <---> modem load balanced
eth2 ¦---> WAP ¦---> VPN Router
eth3 <---> GB Switch (office)
eth4 <---> GB Switch (entertainment)

I'll try the mDNS thing come back with an update soon.
I've put the ERX back into a VLAN-less state for the time being and will tinker with it after work&study
thanks for all the help

Soldato
OP
ok so after reading all your replies I've decided that it's not worth setting up VLANs for what I want, as I'm not trying to make more work for my router (and that it goes against why you would set them up in the first place).

I've tried to set up different subnets but for some reason, even though I can ping and traceroute the devices, none of the devices have internet access.

eth2 192.168.10.1/24 WAPs ((no internet access))
eth3 (switch0 192.168.1.1/24) internet access ok
eth4 192.168.20.1/24 media ((no internet access))

if i have static addresses mapped in the 192.168.1.1 network would it affect the devices that now would be in a different subnet?

do i need to wait some time for devices to find their way to the new gateway?

Soldato
OP
no, I've removed all the VLANs and unchecked "VLAN aware"
removed eth 2 and 4 from the switch0 interface and given the ports their IP addresses and set up DHCP pools for each interface.

they all have internet access now. a reboot of all devices seemed to have fixed that.

do I need to set up mDNS so that the plex media player on 20.1 can see the plex server which is on 1.1? and likewise so the smartphone can remote control the plex player?

Soldato
OP
packet tracer (and my course videos) are what has sent me deep down this rabbit hole lol
that and the words interVLAN routing

I think I'm going to learn more about routing between subnets before I try to go any further with this

Back
Top Bottom