Interesting historical facts

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Inspired by the below image, I thought OcUK would be a gold mine considering it has an older demographic.

3cwOlRo.jpg

I know little about history, but the one that's stayed with me is:

A few centuries back, dental hygiene expertise were to remove all teeth and replace with dentures. This used to be given to brides of wealthy families on their wedding days.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
IIRC UK bees were wiped out during the war, so our population were rejuvenated with crossbred Mexican bees.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Big open air museum with actors and the like, mostly based around the 1800's to early 1900's I think, although I believe they've expanded since I was last there.

It's about ten minutes away from where I live, great day out if you're in the area.
Ah, no but I vaguely remember going to something similar during school - but think that was in the black country somewhere.

Hate to be that guy, but...

As you'd expect from literally everything on Tumblr, both of these claims are false.
Haha I'm glad you're that guy :)

you calling us all old?
puDZ0bW.gif
If not I'm sure you could tell me who is in the gif :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
1bGJleXh.jpg.png

The Indian katar (a form of punch dagger) was used as a part of men's dress for centuries but it was also used for HUNTING TIGERS. How insane must you be to get that close to an angry tiger? The above, with a wootz steel blade and gold hilt, is currently in my collection and might date to as early as the 1600s.
Oh wow! That's ancient! Sikhs used this style Katar daggar back in their soldier days before they evolved to a Kirpan.

Where did you get it? How much you want for it? ;)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
V58Bi7j.jpg

L0cBDgt.jpg

"Invaded" is a bit too deep for the map, considerably tangible, but the spirit of it is quite a realisation.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I collect antique weapons so I see such delights quite often. This one is actually listed for sale on my little site as it's a bit too good for me to justify keeping but the old wootz steel, the thick gold overlay and the fact it has Arabic panels (a very rare form of decoration for these) means it's expensive though! Sikhs love their antique weaponry and it's a sentiment that I wholly agree with.
Oooof, just a tad ;) the south indian one with the elephants is more my style :) can't justify 6 bills whilst on the dole though :D

We are warriors so makes sense.

How do you decide the value? Material + age + uniqueness?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
You should be proud if this, though.

Commercial production of tea was first introduced into India by the British, in an attempt to break the Chinese monopoly on tea. The British, "using Chinese seeds, plus Chinese planting and cultivating techniques, launched a tea industry by offering land in Assam to any European who agreed to cultivate tea for export." Tea was originally only consumed by Anglicized Indians, it was not until the 1950s that tea grew widely popular in India through a successful advertising campaign by the India Tea Board.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
The South Indian one is great. I had to clean each of those holes by hand, though...
From what I know I'd sooth Indians... she loved it :p

I will purchase from you at some point in time I am sure, wil be watching your Insta more closlier

Back
Top Bottom