Interesting Idea, with heatpipe coolers

Associate
I was thinking (you can tell because ambient temps rise a few degrees)

If you were to take a heatpipe cooler and hacksaw off the ends of the pipes, drain and clean them, then add them as an extention of a Waterclloking loop, what would be the effect? (ooling the CPU obviously)

For example, if you took the Freezer 64Pro and chopped off all the crimped ends, then branched your WC pipe into three, and clamped them onto the ends of the heatpipes... and did the same for the outflow from the cooler...

I can't seen it having too much use, but it'd be an interesting thing to see, and I can imagine it reducing the load on the WC system (as the fins with fan will act kinda like a second radiator) also, it'll fit onto the normal skt 939 mounts, so no dismantling the mobo to move it.....

it'd also be cheaper than a lot of CPU waterblocks out there

just the musings of a bored mike... :D

Soldato
You would end up killing your flow rate - going from 1/2" piping to the tiny heatpipes would really hurt your loop. I also doubt the water channels in the heatpipe blocks are ideal for wc'ing - normally you'd have a nive little 'aze' across the block giving max exposure to the passing water. The heatpipe relies on the phase change of a tiny amount of fluid boiling off and cooling back down - very different design - if you've got one spare though, could be fun to open it up and see what it looks like.

Associate
OP
hadn't thought about it kiling the low rate... hmmm. well, I've lent my old Freezer to a mate, but when I get it back i think i'll have a butchers. worst comes to worst, yi'll break a £14 cooler *shrug*

could always machine a better surface out of the copper base... well, when i'm not distroying the rest of my PC, i'll have a look and who knows? :)

Soldato
How is a samll copper piece with say six large-bore tubes going through it going to compete with any modern waterblock? Modern blocks have massive internal surface area and turbulence compared to what you think is going to be good. It won't be and is a total waste of your time and money. Great blocks can be bought for only twice the price of what you're planning to "butcher".

Back
Top Bottom