Interior Door fitting - price

Soldato
Hi guys.

I have bought new doors with handles/hinges/etc to be installed in my house.
2 downstairs doors, and then 4 doors upstairs.

I have no idea on what kind of price to expect for a joiner to install theses.

The doors need the hinges, handles etc all bore-ing (spelling??) into the doors themselves. The height of the doors will need sanding down also, and maybe one of the doors width too, as all the frames at 76cm and the doors are 76, but one door frame is smaller at 73cm wide.

I have a joiner coming to check it and quote on Thursday. Anybody got any rough ball-park price for this type of work?

Associate
I think mine were about £40 a door but I managed to find an incompetent idiot even though he had lots of recommendations on facebook. Had to take all the doors off and adjust them all myself, should have done it myself from the beginning.

Soldato
I paid £1500 for 6 doors.
It's due to the fact the doors need to be trimmed accurately to fit the frames in an older (read: not a new build) house and you're paying for the time this takes
£1500 :cry:

Most doors need to be trimmed to fit, new houses included.

(probably especially new houses judging by the state of the outsides :p )

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£1500 :cry:

Most doors need to be trimmed to fit, new houses included.

(probably especially new houses judging by the state of the outsides :p )
The £1500 included the builder supplying the door and all the hardware, and finishing it once it was hung, so not as bad as it sounds lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£1500 I certainly ain't paying that. I will do the job myself if I get quoted prices around this region.
£1500 for 6 doors = £250/door inc of door, handles, hinges etc and fitting and finishing.

If you're supplying the door and handles and only need the builder to supply the hinges and fit the door then @Calpol 's recent estimate of £100/door sounds about right.

Soldato
OP
You need to buy a smaller door size for the 73cm frame.

The doors options are: So which size would you recommend for a 73cm wide door frame? Seems 762mm is the only option and it will need to be sanded/cut down.

All doors between 700mm and 800mm at Homebase are 762mm wide.

Wickes Options
o90FrLS.png

B&Q Options
kDHnt0p.png

Last edited:
Soldato
No, that's the wrong size.
There is only so much you can take off each edge, and that's too much.
You need 726. That allows a few mm each side for space.
You can always fill a gap with a sliver of wood, but if you take too much off a door it is ruined. But 726 should be a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Soldato
£100/door was what I was quoted.

Decided to do it myself.

Wished i'd paid the £100 a door afterwards as none of the frames were straight and it was a right pig! :D

That's cheap. It's a fiddly little job. Not many builders will even do it. I always plan on half a day per door. Sometimes it takes longer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's a fiddly little job. Not many builders will even do it. I always plan on half a day per door. Sometimes it takes longer.
Yep that's what my builder told me as well lol. Involves multiple hangings and sanding down to get the fitting correct.
I wasn't about to balk at the price since he did a very decent job for my refurb

Soldato
Joiner told me he could fit about 6/7 in a day between 2 of them, not sure what his daily rate is now but most other trades are wanting £250 per day. So around £500 for 6/7 doors

Back
Top Bottom