Internal Network Speed Help

Soldato
So have recently moved into a new house about 2 months ago and struggling with the internal network setup.

I've got Sky Gigafast 900mbs and wired to the router speeds are rarely below 700mb at peak times so the speed coming into the property is fine.
It's when I try to get anything like those speeds on wireless where it starts to fall apart and more specifically my gaming PC location pictured below.

VxLw5Rz.jpg

I've setup a TP Link Mesh system (X55 AX3000) and while the setup was easy, works and coverage is superb I'm only getting about 200mb max to Gaming PC.

Setup is as follows:
Node 1 is connected via Ethernet to the router
Node 2 is in the Kitchen downstairs
Node 3 is connected my PC via Ethernet upstairs

I know the Sky router is probably gash, but I dont wanna spend a chunk of cash on a router and achieve the same result.
Additionally I know hardwiring is the most reliable way but I dont want to start running long cables through mutiple walls so looking for some advice on the best approach.

What's the speed you get on something like your mobile on the WiFi connection in each room with node point? That should give you an idea of what the drop off between each point is, and then you can decide on what routes to go with. If the existing method isn't going to work, it's doubtful going with more of the same (but more expensive) will do much to improve things; usually it's just money not well spent.

Personally, after doing the above, I'd grab one very long (15m or 30m) cat 5e or 6 cable and connect direct from router to the node upstairs with your gaming PC. And then see how big a difference it is with not using a wired node upstairs and using a wired node. Because if it's simply too big a difference in speed, and it matters that much for you, that should already tell you what you'll need to do.

ideally you'd want the AP's more central to the rooms. What channel are you using and how crowded is it. I'd suggest as Caged said turn node 2 off and also install Ubiquiti WifiMan on your phone, this can give you a wireless heatmap of each floor as well as show how many other wireless networks are on the same channel

If it’s a new build, run a cable up the soil stack enclosure for the upstairs loo which will have a durgo in the loft, then put a switch in the loft, hang a ceiling mounted AP off that and then run a cable down the inside wall to the PC.

The stack will be in a timber frame covered with plasterboard that will have an open void to the loft. Drop the cable down from the loft with a weight on it and cut a small hole downstairs and grab (I’m guessing it’s in the utility). Then tidy it up with a faceplate or drill through from the living room.

It looks like there's two vent stacks detailed on the drawing so you could cable from the living room to bedroom 3 fairly easily if that's the case

Last edited:
Deco's are gash and most don't realise it until they have a decent internet connection.

The only way you're going to get close to consistent speeds on those (or any mesh system really) is if each node is hardwired to give you a wired backhaul. Any node on WiFi backhaul will always have drastically less bandwidth.

If you don't have the ability to hardwire with ethernet, then you could look at Moca adapters and use your house's coax instead. I've got a couple of them here giving 2.5gb backhaul alongside some ethernet connected AP's and they work an absolute charm.

Last edited:
I don't see why you'd need all that meshing in that sized house. I have a single router (Older Asus RT-AC86U) in one corner of my house and i'm getting ~450mbps on a speed test in the upstairs opposite corner. I would move the router more centrally to the house, get rid of mesh and see how that is. If its pants then I’d replace the isp router for a better one. For ref, my house is about 9m x 9m with I-Joists/sheet flooring and walls are plasterboard/metal framed.

Last edited:
I know you’ve all but ruled out hard wiring it but could you not go out behind the router. Up the side of your house into your loft and then down to the gaming pc.

You’d have it done with one length of cable, a couple of face plates and 3/4 holes tops.

I did quite a long run at my place outside, pinned to the walls and it looks fine and is possibly the best thing I ever did. Have a switch on my desk then with pc / laptop and fire stick all plugged into it so zero buffering in my study.

I know you’ve all but ruled out hard wiring it but could you not go out behind the router. Up the side of your house into your loft and then down to the gaming pc.
What's the point in all that effort when OP can just go up inside the stack enclosure, it'll go directly into the loft.

Performance issues with home network when you have used a mesh wifi system connected together wirelessly.... I think you know the answer. :)
There is always a way to hard wire, it's just how much you want a good network. ChrisD mentions a sound method imo.

Thanks for the sugestions above guys, I'd not ruled out hard wiring as such I just didnt want put mutiple holes in floors / ceilings and walls to get the the cable run, however ChrisD has pointed out a really good solution I think and one I'd not even considered.
It is a brand new build yes and I can go up the stack directly into the loft, across and back down into the office room where I can just terminate with network port in the wall.

Looks like the best solution to me anyway.

For info I have also tried Powerline connestor which I used in my old house and used to get about 600mb, for some reason in this house I got between 90-120mb witht he same adaptors...weird!

For info I have also tried Powerline connestor which I used in my old house and used to get about 600mb, for some reason in this house I got between 90-120mb witht he same adaptors...weird!

It can vary a lot depending on the house wiring and whether it's on the same circuit. Nothing wrong with using them if you get good speeds. Try changing to different sockets to see if the performance changes much.

Back
Top Bottom