Internet loss/slowing down

Associate
Hi Everyone,

I bought a computer about a year ago and everything was fine for most of the time. However, it's been a few months that I have quite a lot of issues with my Internet connexion. While I'm supposed to have 160mbps, I have drop at 60 and sometimes even 30mbps. This mostly affects the download and rarely the upload (which is also supposed to be 160mbps). When this bug happens it can last 5 minutes (and I wouldn't care) or a couple of days (I usually end up rebooting the rooter which fixes the issue for a while).

For more details: My network adapter is the "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V", my CPU is the I7-9700KG (@3.60GHZ), and the motherboard is the "ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING". Their drivers are of course updated and same with Windows (10 - 64bits). I use this cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GK4844/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, I checked, and this happens ONLY on my desktop. No Wifi issues on my other devices, and if I plug the ethernet cable on my laptop, the connection is very good. Also, I connected my phone through an USB-C cable which can transfer up to 10gbps of data (I use it for my Oculus Quest - never had any issue) and while the Internet on my phone goes up to the expected 160mbps, it will be lower on my desktop (depending on the day and time it can be 10mbps or 30, 60, etc.). While of course, using my phone as an antenna will lead to an excellent connection as well...

Also, completely random... But starting Forza Horizon 4 on my computer... Completely shut down my Internet on this computer which will think that no cable is connected anymore.

I think I said about everything... I am really open to any suggestion as I am completely lost!

Thank you for the help!

Fil

Soldato
I've has an Asus board play up like this before I ended up having to buy a PCI LAN card.

That was like 10 years ago though.

If you basically saying your connection is fine on every other device, eg your certain it's not the internet connection then it can only be your motherboard.

I take it you've swapped the ethernet cable over to a new one?

Associate
OP
Is it expensive and hard to put myself? :p

No, cause I don't have any cable long enough, and it's quite hard to move my all setup (I could try one of these days if you really think it's useful). But I tried that cable on another device (laptop) during one of these issues... and while it was 30mbps on the desktop, my laptop was at 160.

Also, I figured that it could not be the cable as the bug also happens through the USB-C cable when I use my phone as an antenna?

Soldato
It's possible you have some kind of software issue/driver bug/virus.

The only easy way to go about fixing this would be re-install windows.

Otherwise buy a pci LAN card which can be had for about £10, plug that in see if it fixes it, if it does, there is you answer.

The last Asus board I had the onboard LAN broke, I had to get a PCI LAN card, then some time later the onboard sound card broke, I had to get a sound card.

The was the last ASUS board I ever bought.

Associate
I have had a similar issue in the last few months. It seems that the latest Intel Driver is a little derped for me - I fixed my issues by rolling back to a much earlier version listed on my Motherboards info page.

Associate
OP
It's possible you have some kind of software issue/driver bug/virus.

The only easy way to go about fixing this would be re-install windows.

Otherwise buy a pci LAN card which can be had for about £10, plug that in see if it fixes it, if it does, there is you answer.

The last Asus board I had the onboard LAN broke, I had to get a PCI LAN card, then some time later the onboard sound card broke, I had to get a sound card.

The was the last ASUS board I ever bought.

When you say re-install windows, do you mean a full formatting? Like losing every software etc.? I could do that at a latter stage when I tried everything, except if there is a way to check if it's caused by a virus?

And yes, I guess I will buy a pci LAN and see if it helps.... Sigh

I have had a similar issue in the last few months. It seems that the latest Intel Driver is a little derped for me - I fixed my issues by rolling back to a much earlier version listed on my Motherboards info page.

Are you talking about the CPU or the network adapter? I could try that...

Associate
Who is your network provider and how is the internet signal delivered into your house? It sounds like it is wireless as it is a DSL connection and your wireless devices may be experiencing exactly the same speed drops but you don't see them as they don't require high speeds and/or the signal is being helped by your 4G signal. The quoted speed for wireless connections are rarely achieved in practice as they are dependent upon a number of external factors such as location of device, distance from the transmitter and the weather to name a few. Speed variations are also dynamic which means they can, and do, change all the time.

Your desktop, or any other device, is no faster than the signal being delivered to it.

Permabanned
The fact that rebooting the router makes the problem go away is perhaps the most interesting statement in all of this. I think your best bet would first be to try a cheap plug in network card, then try a different cable. You don't need cat 7 you will be fine with a cheap cat5e. Only cost you a fiver. Just to try. If none of that works then I would start to suspect the router and it's wired connections.

Back
Top Bottom