Internet radio brodcast software.

Associate
I am new to Linux although I have used it at work I now have a spare pc and want to install ubuntu. My Internet connection isn't really good enough for a big plex server where I could allow my family and friends to watch movies. But what about Internet radio. I have a lot of friends in the music industry so would be able to make content with them but I need to get the radio station made first.

Does anyone know the best software for a radio station?

Soldato
As in you want to go live and feature them or you'd be OK with recording something in advance and uploading like a podcast? If your internet is iffy then anything live will be touch and go at best and not ideal for people trying to listen.

For basic recording though, can't go wrong with audacity.

Associate
Asuracast is a full radio station and its free, it will run on various OS's i have run it on Ubuntu server in the past on a vps I have also messed about with it on a small home server, it can be tricky to install some times not tried it of late.
I used to use Hostwinds :- 1cpu-2GBram-50Gb ssd-2TB bandwidth--- $9.99 month (I used the higher level server @$18 a month but I had 4 or 5 radio stations playing to Second Life)
If you run it at home you will need to open several ports and in that case it would need to be on a vlan so its seperate from your home lan, Asuracast install on docker comes with predefined firewall rules built in!
You can setup playlists to run at certain times etc it has a built in web page you can activate, Azuracast default encoder is Icecast but you can setup a free shoutcast encoder easy enough if you favour shoutcast, its even possble to log in as a 'dj' and do a live stream as well even easyer with Icecast as its an automatic switchover from the radio.

Associate
Not Linux based, but SAM Broadcaster used to be pretty good.
Thats the main reason I still use Widnows on my main pc is because I have a legit copy of Sam Broadcaster Pro, though i have not used it in a while to actualy stream, nowdays i use it to play music at home local.
The thing with Sam is it is a Broadcaster it requires a shoutcast / icecast server to broadcast to although a friend of mine did figure a way to run them both on his pc years ago I forget how he did it.

Associate
Interesting thread. I used to play around with shoutcast on winamp over a decade ago. Nothing serious, but might revisit and play around with this(go back down the rabbit hole) from next Friday when I have 10 days off work. Most likely start with that Asuracast as I'd be thinking shoutcast on winamp is likely dead.

Back
Top Bottom