Internet running slow on one PC

Associate
Hey all,

I've got a really bizarre problem that I can't figure out :/
When downloading anything from the internet over HTTP, I'm being capped at 3.5MB/s - doesn't matter what website I use.

The issue doesn't exist when downloading from things like Steam, just seems to be downloads over HTTP.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer - all the same issue.
I've tried another LAN cable, and port on the switch, same issue.
Connected a USB3.0 to LAN adapter up, and same issue.

I can transfer files over the network between devices at full speed fine.

If I connect my laptop using the same LAN cable, to the same port on the switch, and download from the same website, it downloads at full speed. I'm puzzled :/

Also tried re-installing the network drivers which didn't help. The fact I get the same issue when using another (USB) network card, it must be Windows-based.

Anyone got any ideas or where to look? I've ruled out hardware and the local network as being the cause.

Associate
OP
Only use Windows Defender, and just tried disabling that - but still have the same issue :/

Also tried booting into a Windows Live install from a USB SSD, and the problem doesn't exist on that. So musn't be BIOS or network card issues.

Associate
Only using defender? Prob riddled with malware then :p

Anyway have seen stuff like this in the past, usually SW related running in the main windows environment.

Associate
OP
Leave my malware out of this! :p
Arg, I'm probably going to end up rage quitting by the end of the night and formatting/re-installing windows!

Soldato
... at least you'll have had plenty of time to come up with a method of backing up those apps/configs so restoring won't take long ;)

Associate
OP
What would happen if your HDD died tomorrow?

I'd cry! lol.
I have backups of flat-files, like media and work etc, but not of all the custom setup stuff :(

I also just formatted the wrong drive to add insult to injury! Gosh, this is going well haha

Associate
OP
You mean you never removed the other drives before formatting the primary drive? and you never added a label to the drives inside?

hah, I've removed all but the system drive now! I'm trying to rush it all through to be honest :/ Have to be online at 7am for work. Probably shouldn't have decided to do all this tonight lol

Permabanned
hah, I've removed all but the system drive now! I'm trying to rush it all through to be honest :/ Have to be online at 7am for work. Probably shouldn't have decided to do all this tonight lol

You should kill it.... you got exactly 1 hour from now to complete your task.... easy... go go go go!

.. You put your usb stick in, your usb stick out in out in out you shake it all about you do the windows installation and you turn around... that's what it's all about...

hey!

Associate
Doesnt take 5 mins to get a base windows build on a pc, however it takes a lot longer to get said raw windows build actually built right.
Number of poor builds i have seen over the years done by folk that think its all done once the OS comes up :D

Back
Top Bottom