Introduction to Macs (new/old)?

Associate
Hi All,

I am interested in looking at trying out a Mac to see if it meets my general PC needs. The family are all on iPhones, iPads and we have a desktop which I use for games, a laptop and a few other PCs.

My question is really, should I be looking at a new one direct from apple to 'see if I get on with it' or look at a used one? I am also reasonably interested in developing web software and I am currently using my PC. a Mac would allow me to look at some native iOS applications.

I would be interested in people's opinions as part of my research. In particular those people who have migrated from PC -> mac

Associate
OP
Hi Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I was thinking a Mac mini due to its form factor. it would also mean I could heopfully use the exisiting monitor that has HDMI and Display port inputs. If I am using the system for general web browsing, Office applications and web/application development, how much weighting needs to be put into items like processor, ram and hard disk space? I have a reasonable 'feel' for these on PCs but I wondered if there are any differences on Macs.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm not in a rush to purchase and would consider a used version. Is there any issues with the M1 processor and software? i seem to recall it is not based on the x86 instruction set.

Associate
OP
It's part of the OS. You'll only ever see it once, the first time you try and run any Intel app it'll tell you that it has to install Rosetta 2. After that it'll be completely seamless to the user, regardless if it's another Intel app or not.

Thanks Chris, I was hoping it was simple. If i didn't got for an M1 chip version and went for an 'older' model, what is your view on how far back in models should I consider?

Associate
OP
I got a MacBook Air m1 last week and sold my gaming PC as I don't really game on it anymore. I will be using the Mac for web browsing/email/ watching stuff and programming. I've had an iPhone for a few years now and Mac OS has a similar kind of layout so I'm enjoying the consistency across both devices.
Thanks for that. It is one thing that to a lesser extent worries me about migrating ecosystems. I was never able to ‘cope’ with Linux but since I have started web development, the terminal is not longer as daunting at it once was. I assume a similar learning curve will be needed with Mac

Back
Top Bottom