Investing millions

Soldato
OP
Ok, so, how about this, I am getting my several hundred k a month from interest. Can I put that into my own company, then pay my self minumum wage with a shed tonne of dividends pay?

It's how I used to roll as a contractor. 20% tax, mmmmmm.

Soldato
OP
It's a shame there aren't any finance gurus in here giving answers as I think it's an interesting question.

Someone on Reddit once gave a detailed response of what to do after winning the lottery, but it's rather US-centric; https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/..._a_656_million_dollar_lottery_what_do/chba4bf

I'd like to see a UK equivalent.

Thanks man, I thought it would be a good question and a fun one. Get's you thinking. Maybe those that won lost their fortune by not thinking about long term investment and spending.

Caporegime
invest in properties, properties and more properties.

Don't need a big massive house that require a butler or maid, doubt I'll be in one place for long without wanting to go somewhere. Probably just go travelling for a couple of years, see the world, then come back and decide what to do.

Associate
Interesting reddit post. IIRC there was a UK program on lottery winners a while back and a lot of them were not happy at all.

Yeah I remember that one.

It is a very interesting post, and some very good advice.

Although Lotto does have a lot of advisers setup for this kind of thing as well, and they don't have a professional interest in what you do with your money.

I think the points about changing your numbers etc. is a very good one.

Also I (personally) wouldn't go public with my win, My parents have had a lot of good advice on setting up trusts etc. and as such I would probably do the same.

Spend some time with accountants calculating incomes from various fixed term, fixed return investments. Such as G7 treasury investments.

Lets assume you win the £40,000,000:

Provide 15% for your family in trusts etc. which leaves you with £34,000,000

Then take probably £25 million of this and invest in fixed return investments of around 3-5% (3% returns £750,000 p/a) and leaves you £9 million cash to "play" with.
Which would allow me to buy a new house, car etc. and I'd have a safety net of £750,000pa (less 20% tax which is standard on investments).
Which leaves you with around £50,000 / month pay.

Soldato
OP
Aye, the more I'm reading about it, the more stress it looks! Insane really.

Sure, the initial blow out would be wonderful, but it's looking like hell from there on out. I suppose unless you've grown up/created your own fortune. You simply wouldn't be able to adjust fast enough to truly keep it together.

Caporegime
Aye, the more I'm reading about it, the more stress it looks! Insane really.

Sure, the initial blow out would be wonderful, but it's looking like hell from there on out. I suppose unless you've grown up/created your own fortune. You simply wouldn't be able to adjust fast enough to truly keep it together.

The biggest challenge is not let it change you.

If you can live as you do now, but debt free, mortgage free, it wouldn't be a problem. Even if you do nothing at lose a huge chunk in income tax from interest you still have loads to live on.

Man of Honour
Has anybody actually won the jackpot since they added the extra 10 balls? The newsagents shop down the village said that hardly anybody is doing the lotto anymore as there's practically no chance of winning so the majority have switched to Euromillions or stopped playing altogether. I think they need to think again with regards to Lotto. Perhaps if they weren't so greedy and just stuck to a single draw per week then more people would play.

Permabanned
Has anybody actually won the jackpot since they added the extra 10 balls? The newsagents shop down the village said that hardly anybody is doing the lotto anymore as there's practically no chance of winning so the majority have switched to Euromillions or stopped playing altogether. I think they need to think again with regards to Lotto. Perhaps if they weren't so greedy and just stuck to a single draw per week then more people would play.

lol, odds of winning Euromillions are even less.

Soldato
I'd probably not do anything too crazy, I'd try to get a rolling yearly income going after buying a nice house/car etc, I'd split the money into various things too rather than putting it all into the bank. Shares/unit trusts, ISA, more than one bank account, bonds maybe, premium bonds, investment in bricks and mortar.

Man of Honour
I think they need to think again with regards to Lotto. Perhaps if they weren't so greedy and just stuck to a single draw per week then more people would play.

Agree, i used to buy the occasional 'Lucky Dip' when it was the once a week Saturday draw.

Now i wouldn't know which 'Lotto' to buy.

I laugh at the Postcode lottery TV advert that shows a giant cheque and everyone celebrating for.......................£2500 !!!

Not that having £2.5k isn't welcomed, but not what i would class as a Lottery winning sum

Soldato
40 million is crazy money, however you could make it a lot more manageable with a few poor marriage choices. One exotic teenage fashion model you meet at a party and one childhood sweetheart that looks you up when you are feeling nostalgic should do it. Throw in some expensive divorce lawyers and maybe a baby and you'll be down to single millions in no time.

Man of Honour
40 million is crazy money, however you could make it a lot more manageable with a few poor marriage choices. One exotic teenage fashion model you meet at a party and one childhood sweetheart that looks you up when you are feeling nostalgic should do it. Throw in some expensive divorce lawyers and maybe a baby and you'll be down to single millions in no time.

You'd need a few more wins to cover that :eek:

Most expensive divorces

Alec Wildenstein's divorce from Jocelyn Wildenstein; estimated at $3.8 billion.

Back
Top Bottom