iOS App Makers

Associate
I own a bar and I'm looking at trying to find a website that can essentially create a simple but nice looking app that has social integration so our events are automatically upgraded and I can send offers to the app or update the ones available...perhaps do a loyalty card scheme. I've found loads on google but most of them create quite ugly looking apps or are very expensive.
Are there any that fit the bill and use quite good looking templates that anyone knows of?

Associate
Unity is pretty popular, plenty of tutorials also. That's about all I know of.

Unity is a games engine, it's not used for creating normal apps.

OP: There are a couple of cross platform solutions out there but you will have to code in all of them. The other solution is to advertise yourself on an already existing app like http://www.clubtables.com. Either that or pay a developer to make an app for you, but I'll warn you now that app developers are in high demand and can charge a lot of money (£40+ an hour) at the moment.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Rather than making an app, have you thought about designing a mobile friendly website instead, through jQuery mobile etc? Offers could be pushed out over email/SMS subscription. For most people I imagine this would be perfect.

Yes it's not as fancy as an app, but it'll be a lot cheaper and cross-platform; given Android has more market share than iOS you should really support that too, which is going to double your app costs. Windows phone is fast taking off too..

(I say this as a developer who has written a few internal Android apps for our business, I know the pain!)

Soldato
Unity is a games engine, it's not sued for creating normal apps.

OP: There are a couple of cross platform solutions out there but you will have to code in all of them. The other solution is to advertise yourself on an already existing app like http://www.clubtables.com. Either that or pay a developer to make an app for you, but I'll warn you now that app developers are in high demand and can charge a lot of money (£40+ an hour) at the moment.

Disagree you can create any mobile type app in Unity, what you are saying is just totally wrong, why are people so ignorant?

Associate
Disagree you can create any mobile type app in Unity, what you are saying is just totally wrong, why are people so ignorant?

I'm willing to be educated, can you show me any examples? But anyway, no need to start throwing insults around when it's neither constructive or adds value to a discussion.

Soldato
While you can make an app in unity it will contain 50mb of unneeded bloat in the form of the unity framework which it wont need. Its using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

A responsive website sounds like a much better idea.

Caporegime
If you don't have five figures then drop the idea of an app completely, make a mobile friendly website and ensure your marketing emails render properly on mobiles. Nobody is going to install an app which exists so you can spam them with offers.

Then get your listings on Google Maps and Yelp sorted so that maps can find you.

Associate
Actually Unity is very good at exporting and will dump most of the unneeded stuff.

While you can make an app in unity it will contain 50mb of unneeded bloat in the form of the unity framework which it wont need.

I've seen apps created with Unity < 5mb, so I've no idea where you get the other 45mb ;)

One of the biggest problems you'll have is getting your app to the user's phone, the iTunes application process is long and tedious imo, and is it worth it? Would your customer's even use it? Really?

As said above, the best option seems to be a mobile friendly website.

Anyway, why would you leave out Android users? They're clearly better people :)

Soldato

Unity is great but very few non-game apps benefit from its use. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Native development will produce better, faster and smaller apps. Cross-platform HTML5 tools will create cheaper and better apps.

Back
Top Bottom