iPad 9.7" 2018 - No idea of passcode

Soldato
I have zero experience with Apple products - but have hit a problem. I've had a 2018 iPad returned to me which is requesting a Passcode.
The user left the business, and we've got no idea what this has been set to.
Trying the most likely has resulting in longer and longer lock-outs from the device.

I attempted to attach it to a PC running iTunes - held down Home and Power until the device switched off, then released power until the PC told me it was setting up an iPad in Recovery Mode.
iTunes told me that before the device could be used it would need to be rest. It proceeded to download some software, the iPad then rebooted and is once again prompting me for the unknown passcode.

So, I'm thinking rather rubbish door stop at the moment. Is that it? Are we out of options?

Don't want any data, I just want an iPad that can be handed to a new user.

Associate
Sounds like it may be iCloud locked which means you'll need the password for the email address it's registered to.

If it's a business purchased iPad and you have the receipt, you can give Apple a call and they may unlock it for you.

Soldato
Grand daughter locked me out forgot password and other details
As said I had to provide apple with proof of ownership and jump through some other hoops forget what else they asked
Did get it sorted in the end though
And to be honest if it's a business supplied laptop for business use you should have them set up to avoid this situation
Or have some strategy in place where money owed to leaving employees is not paid out until ipads etc are returned and checked

Soldato
is the account registered to the device a company email? if so reset the the password and access the icloud settings from a desktop and change the passcode. if the former employee has used a personal account is giving them a call and asking for the passcode not an option?

edit: you tried the below from the apple website - worth noting if the process takes more than 15 mins the device will exit the recovery mode and you'll have to start again.

iPad with Face ID: Press and hold the Top button and either volume button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Top button. Keep holding the Top button until you see the recovery mode screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Soldato
Proof of purchase and photo ID (driving license or passport) and book a Genius Bar appointment - technician can get a manager to remove activation lock and restore the iPad.

For future - use a Mobile Device Management (MDM) with work devices.
You can remote remove iCloud accounts (activation) and reset with little effort.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
We enrol all of our devices into Airwatch, which usually gives us the option to remote wipe or clear passcodes. However, on investigating this one - Airwatch is telling us it hasn't been seen for over a hundred days.
Without being able to get into the tablet we've got no idea if it's connecting to WiFi, however this would tell us no.

I can get into the iCloud account for this iPad, but I couldn't see anywhere in there were a passcode could be removed - but I'm a little unsure how that would work anyway. If iCloud cannot communicate with the device (it too shows the device as offline) I'm assuming it cannot clear the passcode either?

I attempted to complete the restore option again yesterday. So holding down Home & Power until the device switched off, releasing power and keeping finger on home while the iPad was connected to a PC running iTunes.
iTunes immediately tells me it has detected an iPad in recovery mode and that it needs to update the software and then restore.
I click on "OK" and it immediately goes off and downloads some software. It then starts "Extracing" the software, it gets half way through this process, then the iPad reboots itself and it's no longer connected to the PC. So the "Extracting" gets to the end and then reports "Cannot find iPad".

iPad purchased by our corporate head office, so I'll just send it back up to them if the only option is to take it into Apple.

Soldato
iCloud.com - remove the devise from the “find my” section.
Then restore in iTunes.

will be good to setup again after

the reason your having issues restoring is it’s timing out due to taking too long.
Locate the .ipsw file and force the iPad to restore from this file, this will bypass the download part and allow the restore to complete.
Just google “restore from ipsw” for information

Back
Top Bottom