Ipad pro 12.9 4th Gen Charing issue, 3rd party charging devices

Associate
Good afternoon guys.

Im having issues with charging on my daughters iPad I've exhausted all avenues user end and the next step is professional help.

It started around 12 months ago , it use to charge via any cable then certain ones and lastly in recent months it only charged by a Razer cable i got supplied with a set of headphones which is odd but still charged non the less.

Last two weeks i managed to get it charged just once and its totally had its day, I've followed all tutorials on and done a hard reset and bought a cleaning kit on amazon to try and sort which did actually work once but never again.

The weird thing is if the ipad is turned off and i insert a charge cable the ipad turns on but still doesnt charge

Ive been told apple will not repair it (No apple care) they will just swap for new unit for like £600, i watched a guy on youtube charging the charge port so deffo no thanks on that ha :D

Found people to do a charge port change and its £206 quid.

An alternative I've got is buying a magic keyboard which uses passthrough charging and i can charge the ipad via the usbc on the keyboard still an expensive fix (£120 used) and she doesn't necessarily need a keyboard.

Ive google other options is anybody aware or found a fix of a 3rd party device that would charge the ipad without the need of an expensive keyboard add on.

Bit against the clock as we are heading on holiday in 5 weeks and need a solution.

Happy to try anything else i may have overlooked.

thanks for reading Adam.

What charge port does it have? My kids have wrecked a few lightning port devices. First noticed that one of their iPads was a bit temperamental when charging and would also only charge with a 3rd party cable but it was also obvious that the connector itself was very loose in the port.

Ended up cutting my losses with that one as it was only worth about £180 and a charge port replacement was about half of that.

If it’s a USB-C iPad then I’m not sure but they seem to be a little sturdier as neither of my kids have ruined one of those. Yet.

What charge port does it have? My kids have wrecked a few lightning port devices. First noticed that one of their iPads was a bit temperamental when charging and would also only charge with a 3rd party cable but it was also obvious that the connector itself was very loose in the port.

Ended up cutting my losses with that one as it was only worth about £180 and a charge port replacement was about half of that.

If it’s a USB-C iPad then I’m not sure but they seem to be a little sturdier as neither of my kids have ruined one of those. Yet.

If im honest id actually diasgree here, i had my fair share of iphones and lightnighing cable issues but we have two year old twins babys now and we held on to two old ipads must be 8 and year old ones and they are still going strong.

I always found it to be a always a cable issue and not the ipads connector, this is the first device we purched with a usbc and its always been abit crappy a friends iphone 15 same issue last wee might be just our luck.

might have to bite the bullet and purchase the keyboard

I've seen issues like this be caused by some corrosion/dirt on the USB-C pins, often a soft brush doesn't get it off the pins. In the past, and it's not ideal, I've made sure to turn the iPad off and using an IPA wipe (it was a 60/40 one) carefully tried to wipe off ff the pins themselves. In the past I have used some sort of toothpick to rub the alcohol wipe over the individual pins themselves.

Then just make sure it dries off completely before turning back on,

If im honest id actually diasgree here, i had my fair share of iphones and lightnighing cable issues but we have two year old twins babys now and we held on to two old ipads must be 8 and year old ones and they are still going strong.

I always found it to be a always a cable issue and not the ipads connector, this is the first device we purched with a usbc and its always been abit crappy a friends iphone 15 same issue last wee might be just our luck.

might have to bite the bullet and purchase the keyboard

Mine have definitely destroyed their fair share of cables, but they've also done in two charge ports - but that's only because they're both an absolute liability :) On one of the charge ports you could very clearly see was wrecked (I still have no idea how he did it) but on the other iPad the port looked ok but just didn't seem to hold the connector snug. I thought it was cable issues until I discovered that the same cables worked perfectly fine on every other device. Definitely the only time I've ever seen that on any lightning device though.

You could try getting some contact cleaner spray first though. Just turn the iPad off, spray a little in the port and insert/remove the cable a few times. I've done that in the past to various devices as that's what it's meant for and since it evaporates quickly it won't break anything.

Good afternoon guys.

Im having issues with charging on my daughters iPad I've exhausted all avenues user end and the next step is professional help.

It started around 12 months ago , it use to charge via any cable then certain ones and lastly in recent months it only charged by a Razer cable i got supplied with a set of headphones which is odd but still charged non the less.

Last two weeks i managed to get it charged just once and its totally had its day, I've followed all tutorials on and done a hard reset and bought a cleaning kit on amazon to try and sort which did actually work once but never again.

The weird thing is if the ipad is turned off and i insert a charge cable the ipad turns on but still doesnt charge

Ive been told apple will not repair it (No apple care) they will just swap for new unit for like £600, i watched a guy on youtube charging the charge port so deffo no thanks on that ha :D

Found people to do a charge port change and its £206 quid.

An alternative I've got is buying a magic keyboard which uses passthrough charging and i can charge the ipad via the usbc on the keyboard still an expensive fix (£120 used) and she doesn't necessarily need a keyboard.

Ive google other options is anybody aware or found a fix of a 3rd party device that would charge the ipad without the need of an expensive keyboard add on.

Bit against the clock as we are heading on holiday in 5 weeks and need a solution.

Happy to try anything else i may have overlooked.

thanks for reading Adam.

Maybe you can get a case that charges it by the rear connectors like the magic keyboards do
(Does the 4th gen have these extra charging connectors ?)

I have no idea if any aftermarket cases can do this but others on here may know

Last edited:
Maybe you can get a case that charges it by the rear connectors like the magic keyboards do
(Does the 4th gen have these extra charging connectors ?)

I have no idea if any aftermarket cases can do this but others on here may know
This is exactly what i did in the end i did however have to buy a magic keyboard to solve it.

got to the point i couldnt even switch it on to do further checks.

I managed to buy a new US Layout one for £145 cheaper than a new port and she would find some use out of the keyboard too.

Its charging fine now, but also no other accesories are working with the ipad which i wanted to check so deffo a port issue.

Back
Top Bottom