iPad Pro 12.9 purchase advice

Associate
ive just cracked the screen on my air 4 It toppled forward whilst in its case and somehow caused a hairline crack. Really frustrating. Not big or deep just noticeable to me as I like to keep things nice and shiny.

ive been thinking about selling it and getting a bigger screen and really quite taken with the 12.9 pro.

thoughts. Is it worth repairing then selling the air 4? I’d imagine probably not. Maybe cost neutral at this point in its life. So keep for,spare or my kids?

I would trade it in with apple but I doubt they would give me much now that it’s cracked.

my main thought is whether I should go for the m1 12.9 or save about £300 and get a refurbished 2020 model which might be a bit more comfortable price wise.

my needs are pretty simple and I don’t do anything too intensive it’s just a bigger screen I’d really like. Also is the size something I will get used to as when i was handling it in the store it’s a massive difference in weight and size.

Soldato
The 12.9 iPads are a little fragile if you read up on them, just something to bear in mind. Mine is a gen 3 and works really well with the bigger screen for browsing, reading or watching films etc. It seems big at first but quickly got used to and I have no issues with its weight.

Soldato
ive been thinking about selling it and getting a bigger screen and really quite taken with the 12.9 pro.

I have one. I've had it since launch. One thing I did was have my name and telephone number etched into the back. That's free if you order direct from Apple. The device has never felt fragile. The only problem I had with the size is that it does not fit in my coat inside pocket.

I find the iPad invaluable when travelling: a phone is just too small.

You may be tempted by the magic keyboard: I have it and would not purchase it again because the edge is quite sharp.

Associate
OP
i hardly type anything to be honest so no need for the keyboard. so it’s really for browsing, video so think speakers will be a big upgrade and a bit of lightweight gaming.

is it worth repairing my air 4 and trying to sell?
from what I’m hearing you are saying 12.9 good and I’ll get used to it. The m1 is overkill so go for the 2020 model.

Soldato
I've got the 11" one and if I were to buy it again or when it came time to buy a new model I'd certainly get the 12.9". 11" is good but I like to have another couple of inches to play with.

Associate
Love my 12.9 with magic keyboard and pencil, wouldn't be without it. I don't bother with a laptop anymore - just use my desktop and the ipad pro when out and about. I have the gen3 and it easily handles everything I throw at it but I'd go for the M1 if buying now.

Soldato
Yeah, I went from an Air4 to the Pro 12.9 M! edition, tbh honest the Air4 was still nippy, but I loveee the big screen size, main reason I upgraded.

Soldato
Love my 12.9 with magic keyboard and pencil, wouldn't be without it. I don't bother with a laptop anymore - just use my desktop and the ipad pro when out and about. I have the gen3 and it easily handles everything I throw at it but I'd go for the M1 if buying now.
Totally agree. Same setup as you (except mines an M1 12.9) and it is amazing considering the OS its running. Just wish it did multitasking properly but maybe a future OS upgrade will answer that. It is rather annoying to have this amazing hardware held back by a pathetic archaic OS but hey ho its still nice to use for 95% of the time :)

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps. I think the 12.9 will be good choice. Price wise I’m not sure I can justify the extra cost when I won’t be pushing it that hard. I get that I’ll lose a year or so of so upgrades but at the moment ill be happy with a 5 year life.

just need to work out what to do with the air 4 repair as it’s a lovely bit of kit.

Soldato
Totally agree. Same setup as you (except mines an M1 12.9) and it is amazing considering the OS its running. Just wish it did multitasking properly but maybe a future OS upgrade will answer that. It is rather annoying to have this amazing hardware held back by a pathetic archaic OS but hey ho its still nice to use for 95% of the time :)
I don't think its by accident that apple are holding back.

Back
Top Bottom