iPhone 4s Volume Oddness

Associate
I bought my iPhone 4s on launch day and love it. However for the last 2 months or so the ringer volume goes up on its own.

It's quite random but most of the time any slight touch around the volume up button - or on the screen close to the volume up button - and the ringer volume dialogue displays and ramps up to full. I can replicate the issue now quite easily by touching the phone in these areas.

It's getting really, really annoying now and sometimes it won't turn down again.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of any fixes?

I've tried restoring etc all with no joy.

Associate
This sound more of a hardware fault and not a software fault, Therefore any amount of restoring wont work unfortunately.

Only option is to take it to the Apple store, Can almost guarantee they will replace it for free as it will still be in warranty.

Soldato
I have exactly the same problem but with volume down. Again, launch day iPhone. I'm booked in to see Apple on Monday. I can let you know how it goes, if you want.

The really annoying part is that it's impossible to reproduce 100% of the time.

Associate
OP
I've booked in on Wednesday to see them - how did you get on?

I can reproduce the issue to a greater or lesser degree but touching the side of the phone gently around the button - not the actual button itself.

I worry that I'll get to the genius bar and not be able to show them what's wrong. And I walk away without a fix/new phone...

Soldato
The guy at the genius bar said he'd take my phone apart to see if there was anything obviously wrong mechanically. There wasn't anything obvious so he replaced the entire phone on the spot. :)

Got told off for using a microSIM cutter though. Apparently using a cut down SIM can cause problems with the SIM tray and invalidates your warranty. :eek:

Soldato
My brother took his iPhone 4 into the store with 1 month left on his warrenty, the sensor had gone when he make's calls the screen would not sleep and he would keep muting himself and putting people on hold. Since this was an iPhone 4, they gave him a reconditioned iPhone 4 in brand new condition with 3 months additional warrently. Cannot fault that customer service? Was in and out in 5-10 minutes.

Associate
OP
Sorted. The "genius" knew what the problem was straight away, said there'd been quite a few similar issues through the store of late.

5 minutes later I was walking out of the store with a new phone.

Diagnosis sheet says :

Issue: Volume up button engaging without stimulus
Steps to reproduce: Issue verified at bar
Proposed Resolution: Replace unit
Cosmetic Condition: Good
Known Liquid Damage: No

Permabanned
Same issue here, walked in, told the guy what the issues was, 2 mins latter given a new phone and the option to set it up there and then as id not done a backup.
Not happy its a recon and 3 month warranty. I'll just have to keep going back every 2 months and least 25 days. There support is good

Back
Top Bottom