iphone 5 3g signal causing constant speaker interference. Normal?

Associate
So yeah, I love my new phone, however it is almost constantly interfering with my desktop and car speakers (the morse code-like sounding beeps, I'm sure you know what I'm on about) when the 3g/cellular is switched on.

I get that this interference happens with incoming/outgoing calls/texts, but my previous phone had 3g on all the time, yet I never heard a pip from it when I was using the internet on it. I make sure that all apps are closed on the iphone and it still goes crazy. I've tried the tin foil trick and whilst it makes the noise a bit quieter, it doesn't eliminate it. Only turning 3g/cellular off makes it go away. Just makes me wonder what the hell is making it constantly transmit?

any thoughts?

Associate
OP
As I said, all the mobiles i've had have this interference when i'm about to make/recieve calls/texts. I understand this to be normal and I fully expect it. What i think is NOT normal, is for a phone to sit completely idle doing diddly squat, yet constantly making interference for periods of upto 15 minutes at a time due to its 3g signal.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said, all the mobiles i've had have this interference when i'm about to make/recieve calls/texts. I understand this to be normal and I fully expect it. What i think is NOT normal, is for a phone to sit completely idle doing diddly squat, yet constantly making interference for periods of upto 15 minutes at a time due to its 3g signal.

Is it on WiFi? 15 minute intervals sounds like it could be checking for mail over 3g, for example.

Associate
OP
wifi is on and connected to the home network. Obviously when im driving about theres no wifi. Just to make myself clear - These interference noises don't occur every 15 minutes, they occur randomly and frequently and can last for up to 15 minutes. I don't get the best signal at home, but i really don't think it takes 15 minutes to check my emails.

but still, this begs the question, why is this phone's 3g signal making interference when my previous one didn't (or minimal at worst)?

Back
Top Bottom