*** iPhone 5 - Revealed! ***

Man of Honour
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

AKmgzl.png.jpg

Specifications: http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Main things of note:

• Full US LTE, limited worldwide 4G LTE
  • 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display - 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi - IPS, 44 per cent more colour saturation
  • 8-megapixel iSight camera - Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
  • Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (Standby time: Up to 225 hours; Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours)
  • Apple A6 chip (2X faster than iPhone 4S)
  • Size: 7.6mm thin - Weight: 112 grams
  • nanoSIM*
  • Three microphones, Wideband Audio
  • Lightning: 8 signal dock connector
  • iOS 6
  • New 'EarPod' headphones
  • Available in Black/Slate and White/Silver
  • 16, 32 and 64GB models

Price: 16GB model starting at £529 from the Apple Store.

Release:

21st September - UK, US, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

28th September - Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland

Everywhere else will have it by the end of the year.

* nanoSIM - you can't cut a normal/micro SIM down, you will need a completely new SIM card for the iPhone 5.

Actual pictures:

3WKtdl.jpg

x5KQ8l.jpg

eS7W3l.jpg

c75hXl.jpg

0aJT9l.jpg

Xcsoul.jpg

TfdQKl.jpg

Video:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just as people were getting used to the idea of a micro-SIM, we're now going to have nano-SIMs...

iPhone 5 release date looms, networks stock up on nano-SIMs

The iPhone 5 is so close now that phone networks are stocking up on a new type of SIM card unique to the hotly-anticipated next Apple phone.

The iPhone 5 -- or new iPhone, or whatever it's called -- is set to be the first to use nano-SIM cards. Nano-SIMs are a new format of SIM card, even smaller than the micro-SIM cards employed in the current iPhone 4S.

The Financial Times reports that networks in Europe are stockpiling the new SIM cards, which are 40 per cent smaller than the micro-SIM cards first appearing in the iPad in 2010.

The nano-SIM measures 12.3 by 8.8mm and trims off most of the plastic surrounding the chip, which holds your phone number and associates the phone with your personage.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-5-release-date-looms-networks-stock-up-on-nano-sims-50008632/

Man of Honour
OP
As a guess, I think there will be an announcement in August and it will be released in September.

Either that or a September announcement and late September/October release.

It's pretty much impossible to guess at the moment, but as the networks are stocking up on nano-SIM's, that would imply an announcement isn't too far away.

Man of Honour
OP
Very unlikely to be A15's robbo - they would already have to be producing them now to churn so many - A15's will be a while yet afaik; late Q4/Early Q1.

I think it will be either dual or quad A9's with a 32nm fab shrink - the iPhone doesn't really need much more raw power.

I was just copying what Sarge said a while ago, blame him. He should know better. :mad: :p

Man of Honour
OP
Smaller storage promotes iTunes match in IOS6 anyway, where your able to stream everything rather then preview and download.

It does, but there are two reasons cloud storage isn't great at the moment:

• Data plans are very tight, most people are probably on 500MB~

• The infrastructure itself isn't good enough, not everyone will get a data signal where they are

At the moment, we still need physical storage ideally.

Man of Honour
OP
Indeed. 32GB really does need to be the minimum standard now. It isn't expensive and the worldwide mobile infrastructure cannot properly support mass media transfer at the moment, thus physical storage is essential.

Oh, and good luck recording 1080p HD video directly to your cloud storage. :p

Man of Honour
OP
The GS3 screen looks amazing but what has been putting me off from buy it (same with the previous models) its too much of a 'handbag' phone. I need it to fit nicely in my pocket not stick out due to its size. I want a mobile phone not a mobile tablet pc.

Your pockets must be tiny, it goes in all of mine without issue (suit trousers/regular jeans/etc).

Man of Honour
OP
Early leaks suggest the phone will look something like this (if true, of course):

tSYnZ.png

What do people think to that? I quite like it, though I wasn't sure at first.

Man of Honour
OP
Better battery life omg

Full charge barely lasts more than 2 days on my iphone 4s

Is my battery ****ed or is everyones this bad?

You can't really say things like that without being more specific.

For example, over those 2 days, do you use it lots, or not?

Man of Honour
OP
Is this the new iPhone?

The Verge said:
We've heard quite a bit about the "iPhone 5" — or whatever it'll be called — and we've already seen a handful of photos and videos of the supposed next-generation device. Now we're getting a complete picture of the device thanks to Chinese supplier iLab Factory. What's different this time is that the phone is fully assembled in the shots offered by the site. There's nothing terribly surprising, and we'll remain skeptical until Apple reveals the next-generation iPhone, but with so many matching parts appearing from multiple sources it's close to impossible to discount the device as a fake.

www.theverge.com/2012/7/29/3200057/iphone-5-fully-assembled-rumor-pictures

via http://ilab.cc/news/5888.html

CxvNG.jpg.png

cHry3.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Is anyone else wondering if there will be some new feature/function exclusive to the next model that will require the longer screen. It just seems unlikely that they'll just stand up and say that they've made the screen bigger for no major reason.

The fact the screen is bigger is a major reason in itself. It makes everything better!

Man of Honour
OP
iPhone 5 and iPad Mini to be Announced on September 12th with iPhone 5 Release September 21st

iMore reports that they have heard that the next generation iPhone, new iPod nano, and all new 7.85" iPad mini will be announced on September 12th. They also pinpoint the actual launch date for the next iPhone as September 21, 2012.

"iMore has heard that Apple is planning to debut the new iPhone at a special event on Wednesday, September 12, 2012, with the release date to follow 9 days later on Friday, September 21. This information comes from sources who have proven accurate in the past."

The next-generation iPhone, which is frequently referred to as the "iPhone 5", is expected to have a taller 4" screen as shown in the above photo. Rumors have also suggested the inclusion of high speed LTE wireless networking.

While we generally refer to the next iPhone as the "iPhone 5", if Apple follows the example of their most recent iPad release, they may drop the numbering scheme with every new iPhone release. The 3rd generation iPad was simply called "the new iPad" in all press materials. Similarly, it seems likely that Apple will simply refer to the next iPhone as the "new iPhone".

While the 7.85" iPad mini has been long rumored, there has been a notable increase in the frequency and volume of rumors related to the product. The smaller iPad is believed to help Apple fill a cheaper price point in their tablet lineup.

iMore has been an accurate source of release date information in the past. They previously pinpointed the iPad 3 launch date as well as pre-order date for the iPhone 4S.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/30/iphone-5-and-ipad-mini-to-be-announced-on-september-12th/

Man of Honour
OP
now is my dilema.... wait for iphone 5 or get s3 now

It's probably wise to wait, but the S3 is an excellent phone.

There's also the fact that the screen is 4.8", so will still be the best part of an inch bigger than the screen that comes on the iPhone 5 - a notable difference.

You'll want to make sure you like Android though - mainly that all of the apps you use are available and work properly.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't think the leaked mock-up looks particularly great, but all manner of things could be wrong with it, the finish, the colours - who knows. The idea will certainly work and I see no reason why Apple won't pull it off - they're the best when it comes to this sort of design work.

We'll have a far better idea of how nice the design is when it's actually released (obviously :p).

Back
Top Bottom