iPhone 7 Plus Matte Black - poor anodising?

Soldato
Hi guys, so I've had my 7 Plus Matte Black since release last Sep/Oct 2016ish. Since day 1 I put a Spigen liquid armour protective case on it. I took it off every few months to clean it, but over time the below seems to have happened. It's ******!

Now is this Apple's fault for poor paint quality and anodising? Or my fault for not cleaning it enough? I've generally looked after my phones all the same, cleaned every other month. Apart from the back, the phone is mint quality front/sides, no chips, dents etc. Just strange this time round with this 'matte black' finish the paint finish seems really poor.

I'm concerned that I'm on the EE annual upgrade programme. So end of month think EE will say it's damaged and want to charge me £100 for damage, although in their terms I wouldn't class it as 'major scratches' or am I being to generous?

Now not only has the paint had abrasive damage the Spigen pattern on the back of case has imprinted on the case. I can't clean it for the life of me. I was hoping to try clean it up but struggling. I've read dozens of other threads on the Apple forums of people complaining of the same poor quality finish with the matte black anodising.

nGMusp4.jpg.png

QMgM25l.jpg.png

t0Dmh20.jpg.png

Soldato
Looks like poor quality anodising to me. With the case leaving its pattern on the back, I’m guessing it’s a tight fit, so wouldn’t be friction taking the coating off.

Soldato
OP
My nearest Apple store isn't that accessible, over hour drive each way to Meadowhall lol.

Will hop on live chat and see what they suggest. I have a feeling they will say it's somehow my fault!

Soldato
OP
Apple Live Chat said:
There are two answers to that question. First, I show that you are outside of your warranty period so there would be an out of warranty fee to have your device serviced. And 2. Cosmetic damage is not covered under the warranty.

If you are asking if Apple will replace your phone for cosmetic reasons, the answer to that is not likely. However, I do recommend that you take the phone in to be examined. I am not able to examine your phone via chat.

May as well have told me to go F myself with that first response! Wow I've had the phone since 29th September... He's apparently going to have a word with a senior adviser now.

Surely EU laws come into this as well? I'm not exactly after a warranty claim, all I asked is if the phone could be replaced or just the back cover will do and I will be happy.

My concern is the resale value or when I decide whether to annual upgrade with EE.

Don
It shouldn't look like that. My 7+ which I've had since release is still perfect and this is with me using a slip case and having me slip it in and out all the time.

Soldato
OP
So the Apple senior adviser is escalating the matter to the engineering team. To confirm whether they deem it a defect or if it would require a 'paid repair'...

I have to wait 4-5 days for a response and she will call me back next Thursday to follow up.

She asked for more photos, this one especially with the flash on, shows how bad it is!!

I even said I would be happy with just the back cover replacing, as the rest of the phone is mint condition still.

cEZT22H.jpg.png

Soldato
OP
No Spigen are just a reputable case maker and have been for a number of years now.

How can they blame the case though? It's not made of an abrasive material, it's the poor anodised paint finish that allowed the pattern to imprint the phone surely?

Associate
Either way you will have to take it in to an Apple store to see what they say.You might get lucky and get another phone,i doubt they will replace the back instore.

Soldato
I have a similar issue with my Iphone 7+ Jet Black.

Spigen case as well but I dont believe its their issue. I have used Spigen for years with my iphones and never had this issue.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know it's not going to be Spigen's - it's Apple's issue poor paintwork...

Still waiting for their verdict Thursday when they call me, after raising it with the 'engineering team'!

Soldato
Happens with many matte black devices - OnePlus had a tough time getting matte black on their 3T.

I've not personally had a problem, but I use a microfibre lined case, so it's super soft inside anyway.

BUT, my OnePlus 5 has got a big patch on the back of it where the sticky label with device info peeled off some of the paint - it's quite obviously a different colour!

I'd definitely take it into a store (not Cardiff), as online are a little, well, stupid.

Soldato
OP
Haha brilliant, so Apple have said as I'm just (14 days) outside the 12 month warranty, they would happily file a EU Consumer Law claim if I had bought the phone from them directly. Then look to suggest an Apple store repair or replace the phone.

However... as I bought the phone on contract from EE, I will have to speak with EE and look to log a consumer law claim As they are technically the retailer I purchased the phone from. Now looking online at previous customers that have engaged with EE asking about this, after the first 6 months the onus is on me (the customer) to prove the device was faulty at the point of sale.

To me this a progressive manufacturing fault in my eyes, so wasn't evident at the point of sale and only over time it has become clear. So now my train of thought takes me to thinking, my next step would have to be I first engage some sort of independent paint/chemical expert (what the heck profession would cover this area?) to look at the phone and see if they agree. Presumably to the effect that it's hopefully clear that the paintwork and finish of the phone is of substandard quality, and should be repaired or replaced under a consumer law claim...

What do you reckon guys? I don't want to waste time but honestly can't see another way. Short of paying my bank (Nationwide) and making an insurance claim with them for £50 and see if they'll replace it due to 'cosmetic damage'? Not sure if they will though. But not sure if I was to sell the phone if it would lose £50 or more in value? Tbh a £50 excess if I could claim would be cheaper than the independent report I imagine.

Bottom line: I will be out of pocket one way or another for Apple's poor manufacturing... Brilliant

EDIT: Just had a look on Nationwide's phone insurance T&Cs, has under "what we do NOT cover" cosmetic damage and says the below, which I imagine will mean no they will not replace it...

Nationwide Mobile Phone Insurance T&Cs said:
We only cover damage if it stops the normal functioning of your mobile phone. If it is just a scratch or dent, and your mobile phone still works as expected, then we will not repair or replace it. We know scratches and scrapes to your mobile phone aren’t nice but we are here to fix your mobile phone when it isn’t working, so if it still functions as you would expect then we can’t help. For example, a scratched screen would not be covered but a cracked screen would be covered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom