iPhone 8 odd battery issue

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I bought an iPhone 8 new last September when they dropped the price due to the new releases at the time. Its been fine until a month ago (suspiciously not long after the 12 month warranty expires of course) in that it shuts off without warning when the battery is down to around 30%. If I try to power it up you get the spinny thing for a few seconds then nothing. I put it on charge and it powers up within a few seconds and displays something like 14% immediately and within 5 mins its into the 30% range and from there it ticks up about the speed you'd expect.

In the battery tab it shows 98% health and running OK. Its happened a few times now and wonder if there is a way to recalibrate the battery or something?

Would Apple replace the battery if it was faulty this early on? Does the EU 2 year thing cover this sort of thing? I looked on their site and it suggested it would be £50. My previous iPhone 6S was fine for 3 years before it lost enough capacity to be annoying and so got a friend to swap it out but with this being still relativity new and to me is faulty rather than fair use I wondered if Apple have any leniency?

Thanks

Soldato
Go to settings - privacy - analytics and improvements - analytic data

Look for any logs which start with “panic” in them

As for leniency ..
No

if purchased from apple directly you can argue consumer rights, otherwise make the same argument at the original place of purchase

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks I had a look but couldn't see that in the names of any of the logs. I'll see how it goes I guess and maybe just replace the battery.

Soldato
iSmash have an offer on at the moment for a new battery
Says on their website it’s live from Friday but you can get it from now if you have the early access code
It’s only available on the older models but I’m guessing that’s because they’re the only ones that need a new battery: iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, SE, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, 8, 8+, X
For £10 Battery code BF10B

Found iSmash to be pretty decent when I had my screen replaced and they use decent parts as they aren't your standard stall in the middle of the market.

However, I would try your arm with Apple.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks yes I saw that on HotdealsUK :) I'll keep it in mind.

I did a web chat with Apple as I thought it wouldn't hurt. They took me through uploading diagnostic from the phone to them (didn't know this was a thing, worked well) and that checked out OK and they think its a software issue. So they took me through putting the phone into recovery mode and getting iTunes to do an update to the phone, which is happening now. This doesn't look to be a full/clean install though? I'll see how this goes and speak to them again if it still happens. Pretty happy with the first time contacting Apple for any kind of support.

Soldato
Yeah try that.
It’s odd behaviour - what you’ve described sounds like a battery with poor / consumed cells which would usually be detectable via the diagnostics (and indeed - in the battery statistics on device as an unexpected shutdown - peak performance / performance management will be enabled )

If not then I would expect panic logs ..

Very strange!

Back
Top Bottom