iPhone Erase and Sync

Soldato
Hi guys,

Looking at getting a MBP 13" in the next couple of days. My iPhone is currently sync'd to my home Windows PC, but I'd like to move it to the MBP.

I don't use the iPhone for music, but I have loads of photos on there.

If I move all the photos to the MBP, plug the iPhone in and hit "Erase & Sync".

1) Will I still be able to access all my downloaded apps and sync these just by authorising the MBP with my iTunes account?

2) Will the Erase & Sync operation delete my text messages? I have several text conversations that I really need to keep.

3) Will I have to redo all my app settings and general phone settings?

4) Is there anything else I should be aware of before doing this?

Cheers all :)

Associate
As far as the Apps, music photos and such things, before you hook up the iPhone to your new MPB, fire up the iTunes Home Sharing feature, log into your iTunes account and drag all you content from your PC to your Mac (presuming you have a wireless network). That will take care of all your Apps, music etc as now both computers are linked with your account.

As far as this erase and sync goes, you may need to set the exact content that was on iPhone before, like chosing the music playlists, photo folders that you want to sinc. Its really not complicated. I did the exact thing only the other way around only last week with my new PC.

As long as you stay *WELL* away from the 'Restore' button in itunes, your text messages and settings will be fine. Iv made that mistake before, and thats something that the back-up feature does not...ehm....backup!! SO DO NOT RESTORE THE IPHONE!!

I actually sync regualary to both my pc and my mac, it works fine.

To be safe, before you do anything, make sure you have a recent backup of the phone. Right click on the 'iPhone' heading in the devices section in iTunes and click Back-up, just to be sure.

Soldato
OP
That's really helpful, thank you very much :) Very much appreciated.

Another thing - I assume I will need to move my contacts so that when I do the Erase & Sync operation they will be still be on my phone.

I've currently got my contacts sync'd with Outlook on the PC. Since I'm not planning on buying Office for Mac for my MBP, to where can I move the contacts?

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Soldato
It's only music, movies, apps etc that's a one way sync.

Contacts, calendars and such will quite happily sync from a phone to a new machine, it's not a case of simply replacing what's on the phone with what's on the computer with them like it is with music.

The only reason for the one way sync with music and so on is copyright, that's all. Stuff that's not copyrighted (?) won't be interfered with.

It'll put your contacts in Address Book and your calendar in iCal.

One other thing to mention, I believe pictures is one way (sync wise anyway) but my memory's fuzzy, make sure the pics are located elsewhere as well just in case. I'm certain it won't harm them though, only add the ones from the machine not remove any already on there. You can still get the pics from the phone into iPhoto though no problem.

Back
Top Bottom