iPhone gets VoIP and chat options thanks to Fring

Caporegime
*Sorry if this has been posted

Clicky

Sure, the iPhone is cool looking, works out a lot, and is really good at math... but it can't do VoIP, can it? Well, yes it can -- and you can, thanks to a company called Fring and a piece of ingenious software (for jailbreakers only). Using the native app, it's now possible to place and receive calls via your WiFi connection, thus making AT&T CEOs cry like little babies. Besides doing Skype and the like, the app also lets you connect for chats via MSN Messenger, ICQ, GTalk, SIP, Twitter, AIM, and Yahoo!, which should make this an attractive package even if you don't want to harness the raw power of IP telephony. You can get the application for free by loading up Installer with the company's repo. Check the video after the break to see the magic happen.

Soldato
*Sorry if this has been posted

Clicky

Yeah installed it - it's not too bad - has a couple of issues like when you are typing into chat the bar where your text is displayed is all black so you can't see it till you hit send.

Works on the Touch as well but since there is no Mic you can't use the Voip function. MSN, Google Talk and Skype Chat works tho. Has SIP and Voip support and a number of other instant messaging clients on it.

Soldato
just tried this now, looked initally very promising, I set up yahoo mesenger settings and MSN, and it showed all my contacts online, however when I chatted to them, they didnt actually get the message even though it showed on my iPhone.

Also I guess you need to register either sip or skype to use the dialer funtionalty.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd wait until this is released before getting excited.

Checked out the comments online, and so far, they all say it's still very-much-beta.

I'm also willing to bet that Skype will bring out it's own client when the 2.0 firmware ships, and then it's game over.

Associate
Not really, some SIP based services blow Skype out of the water in terms of costing, hence I use that.

Just tried Fring on my iPhone and as you say, its betalicious. I can achieve the fundamental feature that I wanted though, I can make calls from my iphone over a WLAN using my sip account, happy days.

Soldato
ill hang fire till its a final release then, our works use's sip so ill have to try and get the details, all my work mates use it for VOIP calls ont there nokia e60s, so i guess it would work on the iPhone as well.

MSN chat seems to wrk fine now, but not yahoo chat, can anyone confirm this

Associate
Anyone got Skype to work?

I have it working great on skype, works brilliantly calling a PC on skype and also while logged in on skype on fring. One thing I did notice though is that if you have just signed up to a skype account it doesn’t log you in most of the time on fring, you have to wait for the final confirmation email from skype which takes a few days, and then it should log into fring no problem all the time. Old accounts log in fine.

As its already been said it has still a bit to go, the instant messaging is great, even if you press the home button and your phone isn’t on sleep they still come through which I like. :)

Soldato
I have it working great on skype, works brilliantly calling a PC on skype and also while logged in on skype on fring. One thing I did notice though is that if you have just signed up to a skype account it doesn’t log you in most of the time on fring, you have to wait for the final confirmation email from skype which takes a few days, and then it should log into fring no problem all the time. Old accounts log in fine.

As its already been said it has still a bit to go, the instant messaging is great, even if you press the home button and your phone isn’t on sleep they still come through which I like. :)

Trooth zinc!

My only two niggles with the program.

1. When I call my wifes PC via MSN, it works fine. But when she calls me, the line hangs up after a few seconds.

2. No landscape keyboard mode in chat :(

Soldato

Might be it then, it's a new account today.

Back
Top Bottom