iPod Touch 3G Protective Films

Soldato
Hello.

I've been looking at various full body protective films, as I don't like the bulkiness and look of a proper case, and would rather get a few scratches than have it in a conventional case.

It's never going to be sold on (I never sell anything :p) so it's not a worry for resale value, however, I've looked at these protective films, and thought they would be good as you don't notice them, and they should keep the back looking nice, rather than looking like it's had sandpaper taken to it as soon as you use the thing.

And obviously they'll keep the rest of it looking nice as well, without having to use a case, but the problem is, the ones I've looked at all have an orange peel effect, and I'd rather have a few scratches than an orange peel iPod.

I get a feeling that they all have orange peel on them, but I'm hoping someone might have discovered one that doesn't, maximum protection isn't really the priority, just something that stops it picking up minor scratches so easily.

To show what I mean:

picture1lm.png
picture2vw.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't know of any skins that don't have that effect. I didn't like it at first, but i grew to accept it and it never bothered me.

There are some protective plastic covers that come with cases, but they are literally just pieces of plastic that sit on top of the screen and the case holds them in place.

Soldato
There are some protective plastic covers that come with cases, but they are literally just pieces of plastic that sit on top of the screen and the case holds them in place.

All the screen protectors that have been bundled with any iPhone case I've dealt with have been stick on.

Also... those screen protectors in the OP look awful! I don't know a lot about the invisible shield type things, but the Power Support and Incipio screen protectors are both dead smooth and lovely, none of that orange peel effect.

Soldato
Bodyguardz skin has less of the peel effect that the invis-shield skins have. I've pretty much used both for ages until I switched to the former, you get more skins for your money too with 2x being in a single pack.

I use skins on all my PMP's as I hate ugly cases. Bodyguardz stuff is the best so far for me.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Kainz, how new are your Bodyguardz films?

The one on the left in those pictures is Bodyguardz, but that was from last year, I've looked at more recent videos and pictures and there doesn't seem to be any apparent orange peel, and they now state on their website that there isn't any either, so maybe they've managed to get rid of it.

If they've improved it, then the Bodyguardz might be a good option, seeing as you get two sets as well like you said.

The two bad ones in the pictures are both InvisibleShield, so they're out.

Insipio and Power Support only seem to do screen protectors, not full body ones :(, although I suppose I could put one of those on the front and a Bodyguardz film on the back :p

Thanks.

Soldato
Insipio and Power Support only seem to do screen protectors, not full body ones :(, although I suppose I could put one of those on the front and a Bodyguardz film on the back

Sorry that's what I meant, I don't really have very much experience of the full body films, but the few I have seen looked tatty. I know they're sacrificial but imo if it makes it look that crap you may as well not bother.

I'm a big proponent of the incipio Feather, they're about £16, you get screen protectors with them and they are, I feel, the best compromise between bulk and protection. Barely any bulk at all (you can dock the phone with it on), good but not exceptional protection.

Soldato
Hmm mine current pack that I have is about a year old iirc I bought them last Oct. I fitted a new shield onto my phone about 2 months ago as the sides were gathering up fluff as they do after a good amount of use. I'll take a pic of mine in a bit as there is no orange peel to the surface.

Soldato
I've been searching and reading a lot of reviews of clear film iPod protectors and all of them have the orange peels effect.
BestSkinsEver, Bodyguardz, InvisibleShield all use the same material. The only difference being the packaging, included squeegee and application solution.

This is a shot of the BestSkinEver

bestskinsever-iphone-3g-review.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the picture Kainz, doesn't look too bad there, any pictures with it turned on?

I imagine I'll go with Bodyguardz, doesn't seem to be anything that's better really, and a spare set will be useful.

Soldato
I used the Power Support one off Apple's Store online. Can't remember if it was the crystal or anti glare version, will need to find my invoice.

I have yet to find a better, smoother finished protector anywhere, and I have tried a fair few, including the Zagg one, which was horrible.

Unfortunately don't have any pics as this was installed on my 1st iPhone which had to be replaced under warranty.

Soldato
Its seems like theres some confusuion here...

Some (i.e. the ones with the orange peel) which cover the screen and in some cases the backs are made of a flexible material, these are the Zagg Invisible Shields and the like...

Some (i.e. the ones without the orange peel) which cover only the scrreens are made from a thicker but still flexible material which is smooth, these are the Power Support ones and the like..

To the best of my knowlege its not possible to get a mixture of both but if your after a screen protector which has no obvious difference to that of the normal screen surface then buy the Power Support Glossy Screen Protector

Associate
I got 2 protective films with my Air Jacket an 'anti-glare' and 'crystal' type. Can barely tell its on there, doesnt make the screen feel as tactile as a 'naked' screen but I didnt want any scratches, more importantly its doesnt reduce the fuctionality of the phone itself.

Mine is showing no sign of coming off or having an orange peel effect. Cant fault it really. How they fair with other cases however I have no idea.

C.

Back
Top Bottom