IPS vs TN response times.

Associate
OP
I have the Asus PG278QR which I bought 2-3 months ago and still notice the coating. It's my only complaint but I still advise you to go with the Dell.

This was the only monitor that came more or less perfect without needing to be replaced that I bought this year and I have had many.
As said I have nothing to compare it to, but the Dell has a massively premium quality feel and look to it. I don't think 165hz would bother me, mostly because my rig plays most stuff around 100fps on max settings. Even if I was pushing 144 frames, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the even higher framerates.

The couple of things going against the Dell, it's been out a few years now, maybe a refresh is soon due? But if you can get it at a good price (~£450-500) IMO it has a look future still and will blow you away :D

Final question - what is the speed setting for on the Dell? I've read about text ghosting when in Fast mode? Does this mean i'll get ghosting if i run at at the advertised response time? Doesn't that sort of defeat the object? Or is the speed setting something else? See here on the Dell website:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...6dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories

Associate
None of the gaming tn models I have had this year needed to be set at the highest overdrive modes.

That included a Dell 2417DG, Asus PG278QR and the Acer Predator XB271HUA. The IPS and VA panels I had needed faster settings that did cause issues.

Don't worry about the Dell. :)

Associate
OP
Dell ordered.

I'm sure i'll be impressed.

OCUK sadly out of stock so had to go to the Jungle :(.

It was a difficult choice as my friend has been raving about his new ROG's.

I'm hoping i'll have the last laugh.

Thanks once again for all of your advice.

Soldato
Dell ordered.

I'm sure i'll be impressed.

OCUK sadly out of stock so had to go to the Jungle :(You will need to help you friend get through the pain of dealing with Asus after sales service. I once had a Dell die on me once, I called them up and they collected and replaced my screen the very next day.

It was a difficult choice as my friend has been raving about his new ROG's.

I'm hoping i'll have the last laugh.

Thanks once again for all of your advice.

Associate
OP

Thanks for quoting my post Freddie?

Monitor here and to say i'm impressed is an understatement.

Didn't realise how bad my last monitor was!

Soldato
Thanks for quoting my post Freddie?

Monitor here and to say i'm impressed is an understatement.

Didn't realise how bad my last monitor was!

Sorry I'm sure what happened, I replying on my phone but clearly something went wrong.

All I said was your friend at some point may have to deal with Asus customer services who are notorious around here. Dell on the other hand are pretty good and easy to deal with, I once had a Dell monitor die on me out of the blue and they collected and replaced it the following day, with a company like Asus getting a replacement may take 30+ days (even if you go through the etailer).

Back
Top Bottom