Iran Reported to Security Council

Soldato
Just seen this on BBC News website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4680294.stm

The UN nuclear watchdog has voted to report Iran to the security council over its nuclear activities.
Twenty-seven countries out of 35 on the agency's board voted for the resolution, with just three against and five abstentions.

The decision follows days of intensive diplomacy at the agency and could lead to possible UN sanctions against Iran.

A senior Iranian official said Tehran's first response would be to resume full-scale enrichment of uranium.

Soldato
Enfield said:
What does that mean? They're going to make nukes?

Enriching uranium refines it to a more efficient material for nuclear related use. If they can refine it enough they could create weapons grade uranium, which would obviously be used for nuclear weapons.

As for the actual decision.. im slightly confused. So have we decided they can carry on? or are we putting in some rules saying they can only use it for power.

Soldato
It's down to the big 5 (or is it 6) to now decide what course of action to take. The majority are pushing for some sort of diplomatic sanctions, but I don't see Iran taking any notice - why should they?

Permabanned
gord said:
Enriching uranium refines it to a more efficient material for nuclear related use. If they can refine it enough they could create weapons grade uranium, which would obviously be used for nuclear weapons.

As for the actual decision.. im slightly confused. So have we decided they can carry on? or are we putting in some rules saying they can only use it for power.
Unenriched Uranium is ~0.7% U-235 (the fissile isotope) which needs to be enriched in order to produce power. Enriching it further produces weapons grade Uranium.

The NPT gives any and all signatories the right to enrich Uranium for peaceful purposes. It also obliges those who already possess nukes to reduce their armoury and not to give weapons technology to those who don't have it. Which means that the US is being more than a little hypocritical atm.

Permabanned
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I don't trust them at all, I mean their country is basically an oil field so wtf do they need nuclear power for
Possibly because oil won't last forever? Diversification? More export revenue?

How many people or Gov'ts do something because they need to, as opposed to because they want to?

Permabanned
A state that has virtually unlimited oil supplies and has expressed a desire to wipe another state off the face of the map wants the potential for weapons grade uranium and has consistently ignored the rest of the worlds concern is no reason to worry about anything , honestly.

Soldato
I can sort of understand why they want to technology, after all they're sworn ememy have nukes.

The thing about having nukes is it provides the dubious 'assurance' of MAD or mutually assured distruction, its pretty tenious though to be honest. As for already having oil they'd probably rather sell it to the west and use cheap nuclear energy, they mke much more money that way.

Can't say I am hugely worried; they would have trouble delivering a payload to Europe unless they sent it UPS. It will kick up a hell of a fuss in Israel tho.

MB

Back
Top Bottom