Ireland to USA travel - odd question

Soldato
A friend of mine has suggested that if you fly to America from Ireland then you dont need to go through security at the airport in the USA? Surely thats not correct? Given how tight their customs are now that other than internal flights everyone will be going through security?

Soldato
OP
Wow, you learn something everyday!

However if its no quicker then its not worth it I guess. Im looking at Newcastle>Schiphol>JFK or NCL>Dublin>JFK.

Newcastle>Schiphol>JFK is £524 return
NCL>Dublin>JFK is £533 return

Probably more convenient to not go via Dublin as I can only get to there with Ryan Air

Soldato
OP
Not exactly, they try and time all US flights out around similar times.. So you could have 3-4 flights heading out over the space of 1-2 hours.
Last time i was there i think i waited 30mins.

You need to weigh up your stop overs, if you have a 3 hour stop over in dublin and similar in schiphol.. You may as well go via dublin and clear customs rather than sitting about! Your overall flight time may be smaller as you aint flying the wrong way for part of it (schiphol)

Good point thanks, will look at the flight times as Id never thought of that. Plus I can get a proper pint of Guinness in Dublin airport ha! Only thing that puts me off is Ryanair and the recent problems theyve been having!

Another quick question, does anyone know if/how I can get to JFK on one of the new planes? Would be good to fly on one although not essential.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have a list of the airlines that can use the US preclearance and what times it can be used? Been reading conflicting reports and really want to get it booked up this weekend so wont be able to call Dublin airport

Edit - Ive found a KLM flight which says it is operated by Delta for a good price. As its operated by Delta will it be in T2 and will I be able to use the preclearance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom