Irritating soundbar issue since upgrading tv!

Soldato
Hey guys, my Google fu is failing me and I could use some advice...

I've had my Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar for a good few years now and it still sounds great, however I've recently upgraded my TV to the LG G4 Oled and have this persistent issue. Every time I turn the TV on there's no sound, the soundbar turns on automatically butI have to go into settings and and set it to TV speaker to get audio but then after a few minutes it automatically changes over to the soundbar and all is as it should be, until next time.

Fortunately I still have my old Samsung TV and the issue isn't repeated there, so I don't believe it's the soundbar.

Can you guys recommend a fix or a work around?

How is it connected: Optic, HDMI, Bluetooth?

A few suggestions I've seen elsewhere is to try a hard reset of the soundbar and also updating its firmware.

Lg do have issue of dropping earc, from earc sound output to optical/speakers. Had that on mine.

Bloody hdmi tries to be too intelligent and doesn't work. Should have a always forced on if even no connected component.

I bet if you select optical (try it) it will work every time, as optical doesn't have a "sync check" it will just send the audio, doesn't matter if the soundbar is on or off.

Last edited:
Lg do have issue of dropping earc, from earc sound output to optical/speakers. Had that on mine.

Bloody hdmi tries to be too intelligent and doesn't work. Should have a always forced on if even no connected component.

I bet if you select optical (try it) it will work every time, as optical doesn't have a "sync check" it will just send the audio, doesn't matter if the soundbar is on or off.
Isn't it then only going to send compressed audio though?

Isn't it then only going to send compressed audio though?

Yeah DD/DTS, or PCM (lossless)

worth trying out, if it works on every power on, then you know it's HDMI detection issue.Pretty sure on my TV EARC is disabled when the processor is off. LG must have improved HDMI detection because I had muted EARC input occasionally, had to manually change digital out from optical to E-ARC.

Back
Top Bottom