• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is 2gb not enough?

Associate
Im trying to do some research for my next purchase and it looks like 2gb vram is no longer really enough. The cards I were looking at was the gtx 770 which mainly comes with 2gb vram and the occasional, highly priced 4gb ram. On closer reading it appears that the 770s dont have enough grunt to make use of the 4gb anyways.

Basically if the general consensus is 2gb is no longer enough why did nvidia release mid-high end cards with onky 2gb ram?

im trying to wisely choose my card that will hopefully last as long as possible but stuck now as what to do

any help or advice in the right direction really appreciatec

Permabanned
What makes you say this?

Common sense..... Battlefield, Crysis, Thief.... All run on game engines that were with the 512Mb memory limit of PS3 and 360.

This time next time most if not all major game engine would have upgraded to take advantage of the 5-5.5Gb of memory PS4 and Xbone have.

Texture detail and memory consumption are going to increase rapidly over the next couple of years.

Caporegime
Common sense..... Battlefield, Crysis, Thief.... All run on game engines that were with the 512Mb memory limit of PS3 and 360.

This time next time most if not all major game engine would have upgraded to take advantage of the 5-5.5Gb of memory PS4 and Xbone have.

Texture detail and memory consumption are going to increase rapidly over the next couple of years.

But these games that require more than 2GB at 1080P will also require more grunt than what we have. Sure you can stick loads of textures/lighting/tessellation that requires tons of VRAM but you will also need something more powerful than what is currently out.

I did some looking for games coming out in 2014 and the only games that have a chance of breaching the 2GB/1080P limit is The Witcher 3 - GTAV. I can't see anything else that remotely looks like it will but I am happy to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom