• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 4k gaming worth the performance hit?

Soldato
Been thinking about upgrading from 1440p to 4k OLED later on. I feel in black and white terms it's an upgrade due to resolution increase plus the added extra of OLED.

MY question not including price into this, but do you 4k owners feel the drop in performance is fine due to the IQ that 4k brings. Do you genuinely see the difference and are blown away by the image quality in games?

I only play single player games that tend to be RPGs and RTS games like baldurs gate 3, total war. So I feel I don't play massively graphic games. Would I be blown away by 4k in these games?

Soldato
OP
If you sit 4 foot or more away from your monitor like some here seem to do and/or if you insist on playing native and won't use upscaling then no, not worth it.

Otherwise as 100% worth imo.
Sorry don't quite understand your post, what's upscaling and why do I need it on for 4k?

Soldato
OP
Upscaling is DLSS, FSR etc. If you are not aware of those I suggest you look into it as you will get a more thorough explanation.

As for the distance you sit from the screen. If you sit quite far away you won't appreciate the extra resolution.
Okay thanks I believe my 7900xtx supports it but I've never turned it on in my games at 1440p. Is it a requirement for most games to have it on at 4k.
I've heard FSR not being very good, is that true or has it gotten better?

Soldato
OP
Hello thanks for updates. Difficult decision.

Would I be happy on a 34" super wide 1440p OLED monitor, or would I need 4k if I'm considering an upgrade.

Soldato
OP
Thanks I have the same card and with a 7900xtx. That sounds reasonable to what your expectations are. I am leaning towards a 32" 4k OLED. I play a lot of RPG and RTS games so not the most demanding. I bet manor lords looks pretty good.
7900XTx and my desktop is a 42inch LG C3 Oled .

Playing at 3840x2160

Depends on the title . Helldiver2 , Manor Lords , Starfield , and BF2042 look awesome and can max them all out at full 4K with 60 plus FPS all the time. However games lkke Cyberpunk just kill it but I'm not prepared to drop another 1k on a GPU for a 4090.

I can remember jumping from 720p to full 1080 HD with my 280GTX and thought wow , but for full 4k at reasonable mainstream prices I think were still 2 generations of GPU'S away 3 to 4 years

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses. Still leaning towards 4k OLED. I do play the odd modern game but they seem to be PS4 ports at the moment like ghost of tshuiuima and god of war which get 144fps on my 1440p. Plus I'm working through my steam list and there's not any demanding games on there.
So I'm thinking by the time I get to cyberpunk and any other demanding game, they will be played on hardware that can play it easily.

Back
Top Bottom