Is a single 560 radiator system

Associate
Is a single 560mm X 44mm radiator with FPI of 18 in push config an efficient cooling solution for 7950X + 4080 and gaming in summer?

I am not certain if the rule of thumb works with modern hardware's power draw. I can't settle on a way of thinking about it:

1. The standard practice seems to be a single 360 radiator alongside a top-end CPU: in recent review of computer cases on Computex by Gamers Nexus majority seem designed for 360 radiators. On GPUs a notable amount of airflow seems to be blocked by the PCB, so the included radiator is probably not utilized to its full potential, furthermore, the scenarios where both the CPU and GPU draw maximum power are rare, bordering on the improbable. So a single 560 radiator should be sufficient for cooling both.

2. Given the same FPI and thickness, a single 280 radiator (which is half a 560) is only ~90% of the surface area of a 360 radiator, 360 radiators are often run in push-pull config, and on GPUs they use 3 fans and chunky radiators on recent Nvidia cards are utilized to their full potential. Hence, a single 560 rad would be running on a borderline or would be insufficient.

Having ruminated on this matter, I confess that I am somewhat in a state of indecision as to which viewpoint holds the most water. I find myself in need of informed counsel, preferably from those with firsthand experience with either a single 560 radiator or a duo of 280 radiators with similar dimensions and FPI.

I'm fully cognisant of the fact that my build would require a PC case of a somewhat unusual size.

Cheerio!

Last edited:
Soldato
Best you remove the link to that site m8 or you will get a holiday ;)
Sorry cannot answer your question
It's a bit of a grey area with EK cause they don't have product pages outside their store.

As for OP's question, yes it will work providing the case allows ample airflow. It might not be whisper quiet at all times but if it's not quiet enough, another rad, fans and fittings is relatively cheap compared to the whole loop.

Permabanned
Yes the rad will be ok. But it won’t be silent. 280mm for the cpu and 280mm for the gpu is fine.

You need good fans. And tou
Need to to move air not just sit silently

Associate
OP
If you were to pick between the radiator we've been talking about and the Alphacool's Monsta 560, both running in push-pull setup, which would you fancy? What's the normal RPM at room temperature at gaming loads? I'm suspecting that once a radiator gets thicker than 45mm, you are getting diminishing returns in thermal performance. I'm not one to trust my gut all the time though, maybe any insights from those with some experience?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you were to pick between the radiator we've been talking about and the Alphacool's Monsta 560, both running in push-pull setup, which would you fancy? What's the normal RPM at room temperature at gaming loads? I'm suspecting that once a radiator gets thicker than 45mm, you are getting diminishing returns in thermal performance. I'm not one to trust my gut all the time though, maybe any insights from those with some experience?

In general to get extra performance for a 60mm thick rad you need push and pull fans at high rpm, that's a set of fans on each side of the radiator and they need to have a high rpm as well. And for that you will get 10% extra performance from that radiator. It's not worth the cost of all those fans and noise. And if you opt to just use fans on one side the 60mm rad will provide the same performance if not less than a 45mm

So in general thicker radiators are a bit pointless and inefficient. Larger and longer radiators are much better or just having more slim radiators are all better. There is a reason why the radiators in cars are slim and long instead of short and thick

Last edited:
Associate
Ok I will give you the results with my experience. I have 5800x (120w Max so less than your cpu) and 7900xtx (350w so more power hungry than your gpu). With a single 360x60 rad the water temp is currently 31.37 C , it is hot in here. When I play AOW4 the water temp rises to 45-46C and that is with the fans running at 1300rpm so not maxed out. CPu is around 60C and gpu is similar with hotspot around 70C.

I would say you will be able to keep temps under control with the single 560x44 rad , that is more fin area than my 360x60 for less power used. We are currently in worst case scenario with the hot summer temps and my single rad can handle it. The dilemma you have is that any case that can fit a rad that large will be huge so surely it would be easy to squueze in another rad somewhere.

Associate
OP
Ok I will give you the results with my experience. I have 5800x (120w Max so less than your cpu) and 7900xtx (350w so more power hungry than your gpu). With a single 360x60 rad the water temp is currently 31.37 C , it is hot in here. When I play AOW4 the water temp rises to 45-46C and that is with the fans running at 1300rpm so not maxed out. CPu is around 60C and gpu is similar with hotspot around 70C.

I would say you will be able to keep temps under control with the single 560x44 rad , that is more fin area than my 360x60 for less power used. We are currently in worst case scenario with the hot summer temps and my single rad can handle it. The dilemma you have is that any case that can fit a rad that large will be huge so surely it would be easy to squueze in another rad somewhere.
Sup. So I decided to build a custom computer case. IDK if 8x 140mm fans is an overkill or not, it feels like it would be. So far I bought 4x Noctua ones, but on their website it doesn't say at which RPM the noise would be ~24db. I definitely don't want to run fans at max RPM just too keep acceptable temperatures. I could accept if it is max RPM on 4 fans if I am gaming in 4K and compiling a huge project, but not if I am doing just one.

You far my conclusion is that I would need a push-pull setup if "just enough" thermal headroom is not what I want.
I hope to see you guys in my new thread.

Associate
I do not think you will have to run a push pull setup and a single set of 4x140mm fans will be sufficient. You may not be able to run them at min rpm but you should have the cooling headroom you need at medium rpm settings.

I am using 3x120mm Lian Li SL120 on my rad in a push set up and at 1240rpm they are audible but it is not an abnoxious sound and more of a background hum. Even at the full 1900rpm they are not loud whereas the artic freezer AIO I have upstairs has very loud fans at max rpm. I am no expert on the best sounding fans but not every 30db reading sounds the same and some are ok and some are horrid.

Good luck building your own case. I hope you do not find yourself insolvent before it is finished.

Back
Top Bottom