Is a wet willy standard protocol?

Soldato
New Turkish barber shop opened up a walk down the road and my usual place was rammed so figured I'd go there instead this time round.

All good, clean place, snazzy Turkish music don't understand a word but the beat is "fire".

After the cut and fade he says hair wash time, I insist it's not needed as I'm showering later anyway but he insists. I apologise and obliged in true British tradition.

Barber washed my hair then proceeded to WASH MY EAR HOLES???

Immeasurable violation.

Then goes to the other room and grabs a hot steaming towel and wraps hair and face in it and lets it steep for 4 minutes. Am I a teabag now?

On one hand an unusual barbering experience.

On the other hand .. Yeah

Thoughts and prayers?

(Not a Magnolia post :eek:)

Wait until the barber gets more used to you (give it two to three cuts) and hes going to start massaging your face. Now the problem with that is as nice as it sounds i think somewhere along the line someone looked up similar words to massage and found tenderise and from that point in their version of a massage became absolutely pummelling your face until it looks like you have gone three rounds with Mike Tyson.

Associate
The barber lifted my head up and violently twisted it last time I was there which resulted in a nice pop! Must admit it actually felt quite good after but do feel he should have asked first! :cry:

But on the whole I think the Turkish barbers are great, and nothing beats the smell of singed ear hair in the morning.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a lot of Turkish friends, a few of which either own a barbers or work as one. I cant say I've ever heard of the wet willy manoeuvre , but have definitely had fire on my cheeks and ears at the end, as well as the head wrap.

Soldato
Ugh I'd be horrified

Been going to the same barber for nearly 30 years now simply because he's an expert at cutting my hair in about 10 minutes without uttering a single word.

Quality of cut comes second to that

(Not a Magnolia post :eek:)

Overclockers now has the feature from Mumsnet by letting you create sockpuppet accounts which is normally against forum rules but it is allowed on Mumsnet (and now on OcUK). The Mumsnetters refer it to name-change (or NC for short). E.g. "Have NC for this thread, here's my AIBU..."

mrk and Mags is the same person :)

Soldato
The barber lifted my head up and violently twisted it last time I was there which resulted in a nice pop! Must admit it actually felt quite good after but do feel he should have asked first! :cry:

But on the whole I think the Turkish barbers are great, and nothing beats the smell of singed ear hair in the morning.
Is it like a chiropractor head twist?

Back
Top Bottom