Is Adobe Flash still used?

Soldato
Is Flash still used these days, or is it pretty much dead?

With Apple pretty much abandoned it from the start, and its decline in the android markets. I don't really come across Flash in HTML much either, now HTML 5 is pretty much gaining more support.

Associate
For the web I would avoid using it, javascript and canvas are much better options.

However for certain projects away from the web it works well. For instance a recent project I worked on was creating a 3D music visualizer for a event organizer. The visuals had to move reactive to sound coming live from the DJ booth. Now me not being up-to date with C++ meant that was out of the question and you can't work with live sound using a browser capturing the audio spectrum. So ended up doing the project in flash using away 3D. End result worked great.

Its a constant debate really. Still being at university I have one lecturer that tells us to avoid flash at all costs. With the other being a flash fanatic.

Soldato
As has been said, for web usage completely avoid it. It has been massively abused for tasks which are now much better suited to JS/HTML5.

For bespoke applications (such as that mentioned by cypto) go with what works, if that's Flash then more power to you :)

It is used for video, for example Youtube.
Youtube are moving to HTML5 video though, as are Vimeo.

Associate
The HTML5 version of Youtube works brilliantly. I'm expecting to see it become the default option very soon - I wouldn't be surprised to see Youtube default to HTML5 if flash isn't installed, and considering most people only install Flash once Youtube complains at them...

In general, HTML5 should be used where possible. Flash is most useful for pure animation, in my opinion HTML5 is trickier than the nice Flash application. For most interaction, however, HTML5 works better.

Soldato
The HTML5 version of Youtube works brilliantly. I'm expecting to see it become the default option very soon - I wouldn't be surprised to see Youtube default to HTML5 if flash isn't installed, and considering most people only install Flash once Youtube complains at them...

Ads don't work well with it, that's why, until they have the flexibility of flash, they will continue to push flash.

Associate
Main reason it isn't as wide spread is because a large majority of browsers are firefox and opera. As they want to keep firefox opensource and free they don't believe in paying a license for the .h264 format to MPEG LA. Although I do believe the nightly build of firefox supports .h264 now by using the users computer to manage the codec rather than having to ship it with the browser.

Article on the subject.

Last edited:
Soldato
Main reason it isn't as wide spread is because a large majority of browsers are firefox and opera. As they want to keep firefox opensource and free they don't believe in paying a license for the .h264 format to MPEG LA. Although I do believe the nightly build of firefox supports .h264 now by using the users computer to manage the codec rather than having to ship it with the browser.

v22 must do this too then as mine supports h.264.

Back
Top Bottom