• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is AMD really *&$@£d?

Associate
I'm sure AMD are going to hit back hard soon enough; they are obviously expecting to hit back hard, or they would have at least mentioned something about withdrawing from the said market sector.

I'm certainly hoping they do hit back, or my recent AM2 mobo purchase may have been wasted. :(

Associate
The AGP 8X bandwidth hasn't been fully utilised yet though, nevermind PCI-E or this new-fangled interface
yup, but how they gonna keep you buying the next thing if they don't change it and claim it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Associate
"and there are bigger gameplans than just having the fastest gaming chip around."

That quote sums up the article nicely for me. :)

Soldato
The enthusiast market in which we play is very small. AMD really don't care about selling Athlon FX62 if they can sell tens of thousands of 4200s via Dell. As a business buyer, I absolutely want value for money over performance because even a Sempron 3000 is way faster than 95% of my business users need.

Permabanned
OP
MikeTimbers said:
As a business buyer, I absolutely want value for money over performance because even a Sempron 3000 is way faster than 95% of my business users need.

and its people like you that make self admitted fan boys like me happy. :) indeed for web browsing + typing who the hell needs a core2 duo @ £120 when a £35 sempron is perfect for the task.

Soldato
For EMailing and basic browsing you dont even need a Sempron!

I knocked up a P4 2.6 for the missus a couple of munfs ago, and she wanted Win98 ( Also needs the PC for the kids to play some old DOS-Based school-games ) and I let her piddle about with an old Clapped out AMD500 and guess what?

It does a better job than the P4 and is quicker at browsing the net so she has stuck with that!

Jus' shows ya dunnit.

Soldato
locutus12 said:
and its people like you that make self admitted fan boys like me happy. :) indeed for web browsing + typing who the hell needs a core2 duo @ £120 when a £35 sempron is perfect for the task.

I dont find a sempy fast enough for net, goto onine version of google ( maps.google.com or somit) , zoom in and scroll, on the sempy i tried it was all stuttery in loading the map ( not as in downloading the bits, but the scrolling itself was a bit slow in responce, also scrolling on pages with a lot of pics it isnt fast enough ), while it was smooth on an athlon 64 and a p4... )

That said it might be because I'm used to reasonble responces, my father still uses his trusted pentium 3 800 mhz and finds it fast enough for email, browsing, burning cd/dvd and pron.

Last edited:
Soldato
But dont you think thats a little extreme?

I mean, its a lot of work for it to do!

I have just gone there, and zoomed in to my estate using an AMD500 and it did it just fine... Definitely noticably slower than any of my more powerfull systems, but still perfectly useable.

Permabanned
OP
snowdog said:
I dont find a sempy fast enough for net, goto onine version of google ( maps.google.com or somit) , zoom in and scroll, on the sempy i tried it was all stuttery in loading the map ( not as in downloading the bits, but the scrolling itself was a bit slow in responce, also scrolling on pages with a lot of pics it isnt fast enough ), while it was smooth on an athlon 64 and a p4... )

That said it might be because I'm used to reasonble responces, my father still uses his trusted pentium 3 800 mhz and finds it fast enough for email, browsing, burning cd/dvd and pron.

lol, thats a really baaaaad if not slightly daft "test" of the chips performance there. for several reasons, 1 Graphical rendering is dependant primarily on GPU power and ram, 2 incorrect graphics drivers or old versions can cause that, 3 your also limited by the latency of your net connection which if google maps is peaking due to high usage, will take longer to load.

4, even on an opty 170 + X1900XT with 2 gig of corsair XMS its still taking its sweet time.

5, what office has its employee`s loading up maps.google.com and zooming in and out all day ??

moral of the story, you cant use a web page to try to accurately justify performance, or lack of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom