• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is coil whine just accepted now?

Associate
Finally played some more demanding games with my new GPU (7900xtx taichi), and it's got fairly obvious coil whine. I had a google search, and this seems to be a fairly common problem, with most people saying they just put up with it.

IMO with GPUs being 3-4x the price they were 10 years ago, it shouldn't be accepted that they whine like they do, but it seems this is just seemed as accepted.

Do manufacturers accept RMA for coil whine? Has anyone had any sucssess with RMAing a card for it & getting a better card out of it?

Associate
OP
If your PSU has more PCIE power connectors than what you're using then perhaps try switching them around. I found in doing this I was able to reduce coin whine on my GPU from extremely annoying to barely noticeable.
I'm using 3 of the 4 8-pin connectors, but my PSU is a single 12V rail, so I doubt it'll make any difference swapping these round

Associate
OP
I've also heard that APC's help with coil whine, don't know if its true though as i've never bought or used one at home.
I assume you mean UPS (as APC is a large manufactuer of these)? If so, I guess it's possible, if the UPS removes some noise from the input, it might help reduce whine (depending on the route cause of it)

Back
Top Bottom