• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it 1 FE graphics card per year (per household), or 1 per Nvidia graphics card generation?

Soldato
I brought a RTX 3070 FE in February. Is it likely that I would be allowed to buy a more powerful Founders Edition graphics card next year, before 'Ampere Next' cards release? Or, is it more likely that I would need to wait until the end of 2022 to upgrade?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think you will only get a FE card if you use telegram or similar to receive an alert when FE cards drop. There's a telegram channel that specifically sends alerts for FE cards sold in European countries.

Unfortunately, Nvidia doesn't produce anything like enough reference models to meet demand.

It's quite possible GPU shortages will continue until Nvidia and AMD's next gen cards are released - But I think the situation will be better by the end of 2022.

Soldato
OP
I highly doubt it and I also hope not. There's plenty of people who haven't been able to buy an FE card yet. It wouldn't be fair if first time buyers started competing against second time buyers.

Nvidia introduced this rule to give everyone a chance to buy one.

I'm literally gaming on an 11 year old 2Gb 5850 graphics card because I haven't been lucky enough to buy an FE.

What's your budget btw? I found a RTX 3060 TI (LHR) for ~£500, I could send you the link if you like.

Soldato
OP
I don't think not buying will make any difference, because cards are selling quickly, even at double RRP in some cases.

In theory, the 2nd hand prices of cards should improve next year, if GPU mining loses it's appeal and owners start selling multiple cards in the thousands, so 2nd hand might provide the best value, overall.

Or, you could wait for the next gen, if you can't get an RTX 3000 FE card.

In raw GPU power, the Series S console is by far the best deal this year. Or, the digital version of the PS5, if you can find one at rrp, either console can easily handle 1080p gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's pointless blaming people with chunky wallets for buying high end GPUs, Nvidia and AMD were unable to secure sufficient manufacturing capacity from Samsung and TSMC foundries, in addition to global materials shortages.

Whatever AMD/Nvidia may say, a graphics card shortage is actually quite a desirable thing from their point of view, as long as demand from consumers remains high. I'd imagine there's a sweet spot profitability wise, so producing a certain percentage more would probably benefit both companies to some extent, especially AMD, who I assume aspire to gain a larger share of the graphics card market.

Both companies can be blamed for choosing not to produce (a lot) more reference models, they aren't and have never been, on the side of consumers. Some may defend this, but they ultimately set the prices for reference models, if they need to increase their profit margins. Reference model prices were supposed to be a benchmark for third party manufacturers to aim for, but when AIBs are charging double the reference model price in some cases, I'd say it's not working.

Neither company has allowed pre-orders for reference models, in my view, this is the minimum they could have done, as a gesture of good will toward customers. I'm told this is something Nvidia did for the RTX 2000 series and below, so I think Nvidia realised they didn't 'need' to do this anymore and became even greedier.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think it depends on if Ethereum mining comes to and end or not (when Ethereum changes to using the proof-of-stake system), hopefully in early 2022.

There is also a plan to increase Ethereum mining difficulty in December 2021, known as EIP-3554, which may make it unprofitable to mine Eth from this point on.

Ultimately, it's down to Nvidia to produce more reference model cards, in some ways it's a problem of their own making. If we assume FE cards are about 1% of available Nvidia gfx cards, they could boost production of these by 10 times.

Or, they could just cancel reference models altogether, to maximise profit.

I think the problem is, the price of reference models has come down by about 100% compared to models of the last gen, such as the RTX 2080 TI FE. A card with equivalent performance (RTX 3070) now 'only' has a reference model price of £470. This means there's no particular incentive for Nvidia to produce more Ampere reference models, at least, not without increasing prices.

The only reason reference models exist, is to attempt to provide a degree of sanity to the graphics card market prices, but it's an illusion really, especially for low volume cards like the RTX 3080 and almost non existent RTX 3070 TI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom