Is it illegal to drive without a rear view mirror?

Associate
Mine fell off, google brings up mixed results and all of them are about side view mirrors.

I've bought stuff to fix it back on but its freezing outside and with the lack of light, I dont want to mess it up.

It is illegal to drive without a rear-view mirror in a normal passenger car (as opposed to a goods vehicle).

Regulation 33 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations 1986 says that vehicles with a rear windscreen must have at least a rear-view mirror and an offside mirror, unless a rear-view mirror is not fitted by the manufacturer. In that case, you must have both a nearside and offside mirror.

The Highway Code stipulates that, before setting off, you should ensure that 'your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full control and maximum vision.' A missing mirror would therefore also appear to be hampering the driver's recommended 'maximum vision.'

I've no source for that information other than i was told it a few years ago, i can't even remember who told me it but they were either an mot inspector or a cop.

I want to take the rear view mirror out of my car, it's no use as the engine lid and intercooler block any view through rearwards, I'm just scared I'll break the screen when removing it :o

Neil.

Everytime I drive a van without a rear view mirror I keep looking at the empty space where the mirror should be. Like when you forget to put your watch on, you keep looking at the empty space on your wrist.

Back
Top Bottom