Is it possible to cast via wifi to a tv?

Soldato
I've got a Samsung S21 and I want to cast to the tv.

The quality is ok. But if I could cast via the wifi network I think the quality would be better as the tv is connected by ethernet.

Is it possible to transmit via the wifi?

Soldato
Supposedly it is

Android​

Google has made things a little confusing here, as you can use the casting protocol to mirror your phone. First, make sure your devices are on the same Wi-Fi network then open the Google Home app, find a device that supports mirroring, such as a TV, then tap to open. Next, select Cast my screen followed by Cast screen then Start now.

To disconnect, return to the device menu in Google Home and tap Stop mirroring.

Associate
I have s20 ultra - casts automatically for me, although I have no reason to use this feature, but if quality is a concern cant you just plug the phone into the tv?

Soldato
Depends what TV you have and what/how you're currently casting. If it's an Android TV, it could already be using WiFi to ethernet as Google's Cast API works via your network. If Samsung, LG, etc., then it'll be Miracast/DLNA/DIAL via WiFi direct.

Casting from the app will be better quality as it sends the media stream/file to the TV, while mirroring will mean the phone will need to capture what's on screen and encode it before sending it to the TV, which is more resource and bandwidth heavy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom