Is it possible to self-learn web development from scratch?

Soldato
Apologies if the thread title is a bit vague but the fact is i dont know what i'm talking about.

My situation at the moment is that i'm 30 years old and unemployed with few prospects. To complicate things i suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (a.k.a M.E) and am only able to work non-physical jobs part-time (4-5 hours per day).

Since i have found it impossible to find work (not much part-time admin type roles going and i have no experience) i have been looking in to learn a skill to see if i can forge a career from it. I've always had a interest in computing (got my first PC 18 years ago) but never learnt a specific skill such as programming or networking and the like.

During my daily job searching i see a lot of adverts for PHP and ASP.NET developers and decided to look into them and see whats what. I came across this website that appears to offer pretty decent tutorials with a view to you paying money to earn a certificate.

All i really want to know from you guys is am i barking up the wrong tree? Can someone with absolutely no knowledge of even basic programming or web design/development teach themselves enough to actually get a job? Also, is part-time work for this sort of thing even available?

If anyone can offer any assistance i'd be really grateful. Having turned 30 i'm starting to really worry for my future due to my limitations and the current job climate.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the all the info and advice guys.

By the looks of things i need to start off with html and CSS (i'd sort of already figured that out), i just need to find out best to go about learning it. Tutorials and books are all well and good but if i dont use what i learn i tend to forget it just as quickly as i've read it.

The other question i have is about graphics and creativity. I basically have absolutely no creative talent so i worry that if web development relies on creativity and imagination then i'm doomed. Is there any role in web development for someone like me who could (potentially) learn the necessary skills (html, CSS, PHP etc) without having to be a creative genius?

Just to back up what others have said, yes you can!

I'm currently doing it at the moment. Got a basic knowledge of HTML & CSS coding and will be learning the server side stuff in September. I've got a load of books on it as well as looking at web tutorials.

I have always had an interest in web design but never did anything with it, and boy do I regret that now I'm starting to do it seriously.

I'm 30 as well.

:)

Could I ask which books and online.tutorials you found most useful?

Thanks a lot for all the advice chaps. I'm gonna work my way through this Sams Teach Yourself HTML & CSS and see where that takes me. Dad is a self-employed social care consultant so i think i'll practice what I learn by building him a company website.

Back
Top Bottom